Chapter Twenty-One

Zara

All I knew was that we drove for a very long time. Long enough that the kids fell asleep in my arms, leaning their heavy weight upon me, and it was long enough for me to doze off and on for quite some time.

I think my relaxed state showed the children not to worry, and in turn they weren't, so they could sleep knowing that I'd be there to protect them.

There were many reasons why I was relaxed. For one, alcohol still flowed through my body, and two, I knew Talon would go to great lengths to find us, and finally three, I was stronger in mind, body, and spirit to deal with an arsehat like David.

The only thing that had me worried, but I didn't let show, was how all this was going to be played out. What was David going to do? At least I was sure he would never harm a child. I—on the other hand—was a different story altogether. Though, I wasn't worried for myself, only and always for the children.

So to keep my relaxed state for the kids, I thought of Talon.

His eyes and how they grew soft for me.

His mouth when he smiled at me.

His hands and body, and how he always sought me out in a room.

Him.

The perfect, dominating, alpha bossy biker, who was a hard-scary-arse, beautifully hot, delicious man.

Sometimes, I had to focus, because my mind kept supplying me with other freaked-out thoughts of Mattie, Julian, Mattie, Julian. God, I hope they're okay. I have to be good. I cannot rip into these guys like a momma T-Rex because...Mattie, Julian, Mattie, Julian.

However many seconds, minutes, or hours later, the car came to a stop. The kids were roused from their sleep, and again, I reassured them that things were going to be okay.

"Keep the masks on," one of the men ordered. The doors opened and we were pulled out onto a gravel road. I took Cody and Maya's hands, and our feet crunched the gravel under us as we stumbled blindly along. A door was opened. Thankfully, there were no steps or I would have fallen flat on my face, bringing the children down with me.

"It's going to be okay," I said for the umpteenth time, and received a hand squeeze from both.

We were placed in a room in front of—I guessed—a couch, which I felt at the back of my calves.

"Sit," one kidnapper said. We sat, and I cradled the children close to me. The door opened again. Someone walked in and I heard a chair being slid back, the sound of that someone sitting in it. I knew who it was straight away. I could never misplace his strong, stinking cologne.

"Remove," David said, with a smile upon his mouth. I'd been around him enough to know when he was smiling.

Our head covers were whipped off. I blinked a couple of times to bring focus back. The kids rubbed at their eyes. I looked up and found David sitting behind a desk, his hands folded on top of it; his eyes gleamed with a 'gotcha' look, and his mouth was smirking at me. He looked the same as he had six years ago. The same ocean-blue eyes that had sucked me in, the same slim, tall form. The only difference was that his sandy hair had receded more on top.

"Hello, my dear Zara Edgingway." he gleamed.

"David."

"What, that's it? That's all you have to say to your husband? After all these years," he spat, disgusted. "Get the kids out of here. I want to talk to my wife."

"What? No, no, David. Please let them stay with me," I begged. I didn't trust the men standing behind the couch. Especially the one looking eagerly at my daughter.