Chapter Three

Holding Out Copyright © 2015 by Lila Rose

Chapter Three

Damn him and his hot alpha words. They'd gone and turned me into a horny puddle. All I could think about was having his hand down my pants. At least it was a distraction from other heartbreaking thoughts.

Shit! I'm staring at his hand. Look away, Zara, look away.

Was he right? Had this—us—been a long time coming? All those morning glances, teasing words, and flaming, wild wet dreams.

Yep, I guess it had. But the thing was—it was too late. Now I had to leave, to stay safe and keep others protected.

Which could be good in the end for me, as it'd also keep my heart in one piece.

I wanted to hurl, to chuck my guts up. I wanted to cry, scream, and have sex.

Could anyone make sense of that? Because I couldn't.

My heart and stomach clenched.

Oh, God...my parents.

Maya.

Deanna.

Mattie.

Talon's hand.

Stuff it...that just popped in there, again.

I placed my head in my hands and shook it. What was wrong with me? Why were my mind and body thinking of Talon when my heart was being torn from my body with thoughts of my parents? Maybe I was losing my ever-lovin' mind. I was no longer sane. Yes, that had to be it. Well, it was either that, or I was dreaming. If so, what a stuffed-up dream!

"Kitten."

Nope. Not dreaming.

I peeked out of one eye, which brought me face to face with Talon's jean-clad perfect pecker.

Shit!

"You—" I sat up straight and pointed at him. "—you need to leave. You're a distraction and I need to have a breakdown where I'll ugly cry, scream, and throw things." Or collapse in a heap and feel nothing but utter devastation.

Deanna snorted beside me. I'd forgotten she was there and that I had other company in the form of hot bikers.

How in the hell could there be so many good-looking men in Talon's club?

Wait, maybe he interviewed them, and when they walked in, he'd snap his fingers and say, 'Nuh-uh, you ain't smokin', you can't join.'

See! See where my mind goes under too much pressure? Too much to feel and think.

"Kitten," Talon said again, with more of a growl.

God, I hoped I hadn't looked like a zombie, off in a daze, thinking about Talon and his weird ways of men joining his group.

Deanna sighed loudly and said, "Oh, for fuck's sake! Leave her alone. She's had some big shocks in such a small amount of time, and her pea brain is trying to handle it. Also it doesn't help you standing there all manly, but whining at her like an old woman."

I loved Deanna!

So I told her just that. "I love you, Deanna."

She smiled. "Yeah, yeah. I'm all roses and chocolates and vibrators about you too, hun."

"Fuckin' hell. It's like talking to two deranged children." Talon glared at the both of us, causing laughter from the male stripper group near the front door. Okay, not strippers, but a woman could easily dream up a lap dance from any or all of them.