Chapter 11- "It Meant Nothing"

Chapter 11; "It Meant Nothing"

Fay's POV:

I pull up to the front of the surf shop, parking my dad's old land rover truck. He's had this thing since I was born and you can tell. I'm scared that one day, I'm going to be driving down the road and a tire is going to pop off. I pull right in front of Ben's blue chevrolet. He's finally here on time...

I enter the shop, seeing that Ben is already at the register. My heart starts racing when I see him. I'm still nervous about what happened at the party.

"I beat you for once."Ben says, looking up at me.

"Yeah, for once.."I respond. I stand there awkwardly for a second. I then begin walking behind the register, starting to set up. Okay, I am determined to clear the air about the other day. Now is the time, words Fay, words.

"Look uh-about the party."I begin.

"I-I was thinking the same thing, let's just forget about it. It uh... meant nothing."Ben states, scratching the back of his head. My heart instantly drops. It meant nothing to him? I don't know why I am surprised.

"Yeah totally."I mumble, fidgeting with my bracelet. The awkward silence is cleared by the customer that walks in. Of course, it has to be a pretty girl. My luck.

I pretend to be doing something in the back so I don't have to watch Ben flirt with her.

A couple hours later..

"Have a nice day."I say to the customer who just purchased an item.

"Did you see how close Phoebe and Reese were getting at the party?"Ben asks, suddenly. He is currently sitting on top of the counter behind the register. I turn around to face him.

"Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one who noticed."I reply.

"You weren't. And I think Johnny noticed too because he had a pissed off look when Reese offered to go to pick up the food with Phoebe."Ben states.

"Do you think something is actually going on between them?"I ask.

"I mean from the way Reese ran over to Phoebe after the whole incident with the guy on the dance floor, it looks like something is going on.."Ben says.

"Well they definitely both like each other,"I begin,"I totally ship."

"Me too. Rhoebe for life."Ben says, laughing. I laugh in response.

"It has a good ring to it."I say. I'm broken out of my laughter when I hear the bell to the register ring.

"Hi."I say, turning around to the register. To my surprise, I see the customer is Noah, the guy I met at the party.

"Oh my gosh hey Noah."I say with a smile.

"Hey Fay."He responds. "It's so cool that you work here."

"I know I love it."I respond, as I scan his item.

"And it's right on the beach too. That's so convenient if you ever want to go surfing after."

"Literally."

"Do you surf?"He asks me.

"I do but not often. I don't do it seriously or anything, just for fun."I always ramble when I'm nervous and right now, he is making me nervous.

"What about you?"I ask.

"I do too. I've been doing it since I was like 10."He says.

"Wow, so you're like really good."I say.