Chapter 7: Hajia Zainab Comes Back Home

I I As Dad walked in, Ibrahim rushed to him, not wanting to spill the bean with his mouth either. The expression on his sweaty face was like ‘It was all Dad’s fault.’

“Honey. Òkòò mi, Òlòwò òrì mi! È káábò...” She threw her hands around him and gripped him. Ibrahim ran back, watching them from the corner of both eyes as if he wasn’t.

“Where’s Aisha? It’s been 3 weeks since they discharged me and I’ve not set my eyes on her. Neither have I heard from her as well. What’s going on? Please, talk to me.” her voice was calm and sincere.

Imam Hussain’s eyes widened and suddenly blinked like a bat blinded by the sun. Chewing on his gaping jaw, he faked a wide-teeth smile. Ibrahim’s eyes caught the wrinkles across his father’s forehead. He knew it was all pretense.

“Errrr..... Aisha is fine.” Imam Hussain started thinking of words to calm her down. He didn’t want to lie or cause any more trouble.

“Em... Darling, you just got discharged from the hospital. The doctor says you don’t need this at all. So please, relax, and Aisha will soon be here.”

“I thought you’d bring her from where she was after work, but you didn’t. Who is she with?! Call her at least... I want to hear her voice! Let me hear my daughter’s voice!” Tears gathered in her eyes again. With the sad expression on her face looking like she would lose it soon. Imam Hussain leads her to sit on the sofa.

“Aisha, my poor daughter. Where are you?! Her life might look miserable without me by her side, can’t you understand?!” She started weeping like a baby crying for ice cream.

Imam and Ibrahim looked confused because they didn’t have my contact, neither did they have Hajia Maryam's or should I say the Akerele’s.

Dad cupped her wet face into his hands and wiped away her sorrowful tears. He held her close and looked into her eyes with sincerity. Immediately, she stopped crying.

“I will bring her back to you tomorrow morning, I promise.” His breathless voice persuaded.

Finally, she wore a smile and tiptoed into her bedroom without even saying a word.

“Dad! How are you going to get Aisha when you don’t even have her address?” Ibro asked, his eyes searching for answers.

“Don’t worry son, God is in control. Let’s rest for now and wait for tomorrow.”

***

*** 3 Days Later ***

2: 32 a.m.

Mum started misbehaving. Ibrahim woke up at midnight to drink water, he found her littering the whole sitting room with tissue paper. A flow of fear struck him again. What if she asks about little sis, again? He thought for a couple of seconds. No, she won’t and finally took a trial as he switched on the light.

“Mum.” He wore a bright, casual smile and walked to her. “What are you doing alone in the dark at this time of the day?”

“I’m looking for Aisha. She could hide in this garden.”

“Mum!” He carried her up to sit on the sofa. “What garden?! Are you alright?!”

“I’m fine, son.” Hajia Zainab walked to the kitchen. “I think you must be hungry as well.” She murmured.

“You said what?...”

“I’m coming... Give me a second! Let me get something for you!!”

A smile finds its way through Ibro’s face. He missed this part of his mum... being treated like a baby. Ibrahim sat down, gulping the cup of water down his dried throat and smiling at himself. Having all his mother’s love for him makes him feel like King Solomon, which is selfish and crazy.