Chapter 16

Hajia Maryam and her husband visited to Lagos. They only met Ibro and Danlami at home. Dad went to visit mum in the hospital, It haven’t been easy for everyone.

Ibrahim first heard the horn of their jeep. Thinking it was dad, he rushed to open the gate. It was more than welcoming to see the Akereles in our compound. Like expecting rain in the dry season and it actually rained.

“Finally, the Akerele’s are here, meaning they came with Aisha.” He thought within himself as his eyes caught their red jeep. “Aisha is here, meaning mum would regain consciousness. Alhamdulillah!”

Ibrahim called Danlami as they both rushed to welcome them. They bought lots of foodstuffs and clothes.

“Assalam Alaikum ma, Welcome, sir.” Ibrahim and Danlami happily prostrated.

“Waalaikum sallam.” They replied to their greetings. “Is Imam at home?”

“No, ma.” Ibrahim answered as they walked inside. Danlami offered them lunch. They ate and rested for a while.

“Ibrahim, What about Aisha? Is she hiding herself from us or what? Call her down the stairs?” Hajia Maryam smiled.

“Ma, that’s what I’m about to ask. You took Aisha with you the other day. Where is she?”

“What?!” The couple looked at themselves, startled.

“But, I thought...she came back home.”

“No, she didn’t!”

“Dad was planning to pay a visit, but he didn’t have your address, not even your phone number.”

Hajia Maryam looked so puzzled.

“Astagfirullah! Does that mean she didn’t come to Lagos or has someone has kidnapped her?” She placed her hands on her head and started crying.

“Don’t worry, Wifey.” Her husband consoled." We would find her, I promise."

“What do you mean, she’s missing?” Ibrahim asked. Just then, Imam walked in. He was coming from the hospital.

“Who is missing?” Everyone turned to look at him with perplex faces. Noone could answer.

“I just asked a question.” He read the expression on their faces. “Can someone at least give me a befitting answer? Where is Aisha?”

“Errrr... We thought she was already here.” Hajia replied with a shaky voice. It was all her fault. She felt so guilty.

“What do you mean already here?”

“Actually, sir, I sent her back here two months ago. It is all my fault.”

“What?! What do you mean by that?!”

“Imam, please calm down. We had an argument about and unnecessary issue and I sent her back here. I’m sorry, sir, forgive me.”

Iman walked to where they were sitting. They sat down all together.

“You didn’t offend me. Now, I see how the devil has come between me and my family. Ever since the day I sent Aisha out, Everything has been falling apart for me. Things have not been easy and my wife is now depending on a psychologist because we couldn’t find Aisha. Have you informed the police about this?”

“No, not yet! We thought we would meet her here.”

“Then definitely, something is wrong somewhere. Where has she been to in Abuja?”

“She’s been to the hospital and our assalatu.”

“When you go back home, please check these places and inform the police. It’s not proper for a 16-year-old pregnant girl to get missing in an unknown city.”