Chapter 27

It was an autumn wedding in the late afternoon. The venue was in a beautiful garden, faced with a breathtaking sunset. At the end of each seat, arranged jasmine scented candles hung from a naked tree branch. Spread down the aisle were white leaves, as far as eyes could see, slightly moist that they wouldn’t crack when you step on them.

We had a small group of close families and friends. Most of my the central mosque’s members were present, including Iya Owala and Adunni’s mother. They were all dressed in a beautiful silver and gold designed asoebi ankara as planned. The styles of their golden gele were so unique, I couldn’t help but to smile. It was a beautiful wedding indeed. On the side of the aisle, they sat white chairs for them on the natural carpet-grass.

“Okay, okay, Aisha... You need to breathe. Can you do that for me?” Dunni asked with a big smile across her red, lipsticked lips.

Her make up was heavy, mine was light. She tied a golden veil across her head like a Muslim. She was my chief-bride’s maid, of course. It was funny really, as if she’ll also meet her dream guy there.

It was only 5 minutes before my wedding began; It made me nervous, just like the first time I went on a date with him.

“I can’t breathe.” I said to her, feeling hot and sweaty inside. “I just need my mother’s smile to calm down.”

Two other girls from our mosque that acted as my maids looked at me wide-eyed.

“Uh... Aisha, you’ve seen her today, haven’t you?” One muttered.

“No, I haven’t... I just need a minute with my mother, that’s all.”

“Okay, I’ll get her for you,” she replied and walked away.

A Minute Later.

“What do you mean you can’t find my mother? She just get discharged day- before-yesterday! I need to look for her right now!”

“No.” Dunni opposed.

“I can’t get married without knowing she’ll be fine. No way!” I packed my white flowing gown up.

“Look!” Dunni called me back, “Everyone is here and has a programme. Abdullah took his seat and the event began.

“Buuut... but what about?”

“Shhh! Don’t worry about anything. Abdullahi is seated, just as nervous as you are. Everybody is waiting for us now... Wouldn’t you get married to the love of your life just because of your mum’s smile?”

I shook my head negatively to reply to her question.

“Good!” She smiled, leasing me back to the chair and adjusting my white-laced veil. “Because if you don’t? I know a lot of girls who would...”

At that moment, my eyes caught the view of my mum and his mum. They were welcoming some of their guests. Dr. Lulu, too, sat with her husband, wearing the same asoebi as others. My mum and Mother-in-law wore a golden lace to match. They both looked gracious in their attire. Looking at how they were talking and laughing at themselves, I guessed they were discussing how we’ve so fast.

People took their seats as they came in, bridesmaids and groomsmen walking in and lining up at the front of the chairs. The noisy audience suddenly went silent as they walked in.

Finally, the Imams and other alfas walked in. Abdullah heated on one of the front seats as they started an opening prayer. Followed by recitation of the holy Qur’an and then I was called to join my groom.

At last, all eyes fell on me. The flower girls lined the path with white rose petals as the music started. I only took my steps with Dunni and the other bridesmaids accompanied me down the aisle, which seemed longer than it looked. Looking at Abdullah sitting before me with a bold smile and look on his face. He became my strength; without him, I think I might have turned back.

The guests looked back at me, taking pictures of my sequin and white dress. Some were waving at me, smiling. One thing for sure, though. I knew I was ready for this.

Up ahead, I saw Abdul, my future husband, I mean my husband. The love of my life, my everything. He sat uncomfortably on a decorated royal seat meant for both of us as his doe-like eyes stared graciously at me. If I wasn’t insisting, I could have sworn tears filled his eyes. I took my seat beside him and he held my hands in his.

Next on the programme was ‘Vows and Blessings’.

The officiant, or should I say Ustaz added a religious ceremony following the nikah, which included a recitation of the Fatihah— the first chapter of the Quran—and durud (blessings). After that, we did not recite vows immediately the way the christians do; rather, we listen as their Ustaz speaks about the meaning of marriage and our responsibilities to each other and to Allah. However, I and Abdullah say vows, such as this common recitation:

Bride: “I, (Aisha Akorede) offer you myself in marriage under the instructions of the Holy Quran and the Holy Prophet, peace and blessing be upon him. I pledge, in honesty and with sincerity, to be for you an obedient wife.” With a bright smile on my face, I fixed the ring on his ring finger, and the audience applauded.

Groom: “I (Abdullah Olayiwola) pledge, in honesty and sincerity, to be for you a faithful and helpful husband.” Then he fixed my ring on my ring finger, and the audience applauded again.

Everyone cheered for us. However, I barely noticed my full intention rested on Abdul.

The congregation cheered us up, throwing a beautiful, white, rose petals as we walked down the aisle.

Abdullah interlocked my hand with which he’s as we walked out.  The background was banging with the beautiful Maher Zain’s music: BARAKALLAH...

We’re here on this special day, our hearts full of pleasures.

The day that brings the two of you close together.

We’re gathered here to celebrate a moment well always treasure.

We pray for Allah to bless your love,

Filled with laughter, And let’s raise our hands snd make du’a, like the prophet taught us...

And with one voice, let us say, say, say...

Barakallahu lakumma wabaraka ‘Alaikumma, Wajam’a bainakumma Fii Khayr..