Chapter 19

In Abuja

At the doctor’s house...

After watching a Nollywood movie, I felt a lump in my throat as I was thirsty. I checked the kitchen; I think Hajia Amina was busy with something in her room. Just then, my eyes caught the dirty plates lying in the sink. I did the dishes when Hajia Amina walked in.

“Our wife... What are you doing?”

My whole body shivered as she said our wife. It’s clear that she surely wants me for her son. Uhhh?...

“I’m washing the plate-“

“No no no oo... Stop... s...top stoop! Ahhh!! How can you wash plates? Don’t you know you’re in the late stage of pregnancy? How many times did I tell you not to enter the kitchen?... If you’re tasty, just call me and I’ll give you water.”

“But m-“

“Wash your hands, okay? I’ll gladly do the dishes, cook for you and serve. Why am I here? A pregnant woman is supposed to rest and not to do anything...”

“Watch that your favourite program on Islam Channel or spend time with Abdul. Did I tell you I’m tired? You know it’s the feet we beat a pregnant woman o. Thank you, en.”

I just smiled and left the kitchen.

***

On the Dinning Table...

Hajia Amina served jollof rice, vegetable salad and chicken. It was eye-catching as I remembered home. My mum’s food is just the best. If you’re bothered why I haven’t called home yet. Well, I misplaced my diary. I think I left it in their Akerele’s house or something. I was just thinking about this when I heard.

“I wonder why the two of you are serious eating this food.” She must have noticed the awkward silence between us, as usual.

“Mum, Seriously? how? I don’t understand.” He raised an eyebrow.

“Abdul, my son. I’ve known you to be a very romantic boy, like your father. And the secret is why you feed your wife. And she feeds you in return... the baby in her womb with limb with joy and will be happy that both of you are in love with each other and the baby will come to this family not only with a big-smile but a wide-laughter.”

We stared at each other for a while, trying to comprehend what she had just said.

“And apart from that, on her labour day... Things will be so easy for her and she won’t have prolonged labour, don’t you know?”

“Mum... where did you get that from?”

“What do you mean? Where did you get that from? What kind of question is that?”

Hajia Amina rolled her eyes at him, disappointed.

“Mtcheew! My mother told me of course and I’m telling both of you now because it worked for me and Insha Allah. It will surely work for both of you, eh?... Come on, feed her.”

There was this funny smile on her face. It made me laugh, but I shyly hide it from Dr. Abdullah.

“Be romantic, doctor. Feed her...” She winked at him, trying to persuade him.

I stole a glance at him, and he caught me. Then I concentrated on my food. My hands were apparently shaking.

“Abdul, feed your wife... go on!”

He took a quantity of rice on the spoon and took it in my direction, with a shivering hand. I wanted to do something dramatic, but I heard our wife, don’t be so shy. I know you want to." Then I smiled and took it.