Chapter 11

12: 00 p.m.

I watched it rain daggers for six hours now, and the rain just stopped. I sat on a piece of stone, gazing at the hot, shiny ball rising in the blue sky. How I wish the sun would understand my feelings, heal my wounds or perhaps send Mrs. Akerele to open the gates.

I was still outside, knocking. Why is Hajia Maryam doing this to me? She picked me from my father's house and promised to be my guide and support. Why did she lock me outside in this condition? Where exactly did I go wrong? Is it so wrong to raise my children as my own?

I couldn't stop myself from crying as I thought of these. I kept hitting the gate with a pebble. I knocked louder and louder again, till I got tired. Nobody helped me and I had nowhere to go. I had no other option than to wait till she opens the gate.

***

Six hours later ...

I heard her footsteps walking towards the gate. I think she wanted to go out or something. At this moment; I was already tired... Tired is an understatement. Too weak to move or speak.

Just as she opened the gate, I turned my heavy head at her. My head spined as my vision turned blurry.

"Where have you been, Aisha?"

"I, I'm so tired ma, Can I enter now, ple-ase."

"I'm asking you a question and you're saying you want to enter. Enter where? Your house that you kept security guards to open for you whenever you want or what? I kept ongoing from place to place, looking for you last night like a mad person! I couldn't even sleep! No wonder your dad sent you parking..."

With a groan, I stood on my weak heals.

"I went for tajjud in the assalatu, last night. I wanted to tell you, but you were asleep and I thought you would understand. The rain pounded on me... I'm so tired and hungry. Please, help me ma."

"You went to a guy's house and now you're pretending?! Why don't you open up and say the truth, ehn? Aisha! Stop pretending. I just hope you're satisfied!!" She eyed me disgustingly.

"Wallahi ma, I would never lie to you... You're like a mother to m-" I tried to explain, but she shushed me up. I looked totally famished. I couldn't even stand straight.

"Hey! Just shut up! Am I your mother?! Did I give birth to you or are you blind?... You don't know your mother again, abi? Don't you ever call me mother again! Ever!"

"B...ut why are you treating me this way?" I muttered as I cried, walking in.

"I'm so tired of you Aisha! In fact, you know what? I need to go somewhere right now and I'll be back in not less than an hour. Before my arrival, I don't want to see you or even your shadow near my compound." She opened her purse and threw #3000 at me.

"Go back home and live your miserable life!"

I slowly picked up the naira notes as she hissed and walked into her jeep. She opened the gates and zoomed out without turning to look at me. She really doesn't seem to regret any of these. If only her husband were around, things would have been better.

I entered my room and started parking my stuff. I don't deserve to be here, anyway. No one wants me here and I can't force people to love me, either. Zainab would treat me better and I might learn from her before I get an admission. It was already getting dark, it's 6:30p.m... I think I should call her first.

I went outside to take for a passer. Just a while, I saw a man walking along the street and I asked him to help me with his phone. He gladly accepted.

I opened the paper and quickly dialed her number.