31: Ajit and Varun's Reunion

After about an hour, I returned to Ajit's room. I banged on the door. I could hear the immense conversation and laughs between Varun and Ajit.

"Hey, you two, break up the reunion, you've got a wedding to do, Ajit," I said, knocking on the door.

Ajit quickly opened the door, completely dressed. Ajit gave me a playful smirk, and pressed his lips together, as if he were hiding something.

"What's up with you?" I asked.

He glanced back at Varun, and then at me, "Oh nothing," he said.

I squinted my eyes at him, "Seriously stop that look's creepy," I said.

Ajit rolled his eyes, and then ushered me in. "Man from running back and forth to you and Dahlia, I'm exhausted," I said. I took a seat next to Varun.

"I bet," Ajit said.

"So have you guys finished catching up?" I asked.

Varun broke his gaze from the floor, and brought it to me, "Something like that," he said.

I nodded, and then turned towards Ajit. "Ajit you better hurry up, mom'll kill you if you take any longer," I warned.

"I'll be down in a minute," he said, "You two go and take your seats."

I agreed, and Varun and I stood up. As we stepped out of the room, Varun and I walked towards the end of the hallway and I stopped him. "Wait," I said.

He turned back towards me. The exit was a meter away. "Was everything okay with Ajit? Was he nice? He didn't do anything... did he?" I asked

I cringed at my own words. I knew Varun knew what I meant when I asked if Ajit did anything. He had been punched by Ajit before, and so I was really protective of him.

Varun gave me a gentle smile; he observed his arms and legs playfully, "I seem to still be in one piece," he joked.

I titled my head, and gave him an intimidating "oh really" look.

Varun noticed, and acted playfully frightened, "Okay, no need for that look," he said, raising his hands, "But, no, you're right, Ajit has matured a lot, and it's pretty great."

My face broke out into a smile. That's what I hoped to hear.

"Good," I said. I started towards the exit, and Varun grabbed my wrist, urging me back. My heart started pounding. I turned back to face him.

He was fairly close to me, and I struggled to keep eye contact. "Uh, could I also ask you something?" he asked.

Anxiety and worry overtook my system as I thought about the millions of possibilities of whatever Varun could say. I wanted to hear it, but maybe this time he was horrible. What if he said some thing that would impact me for the rest of the day, I wanted to go into my brothers wedding completely with a level mind.

"Um, I'm sorry, Varun, can it wait till after the ceremony? It should be starting soon," I said.

Varun nodded, "Oh yeah, of course," he said.

Thank god.