32: The Big Question

Ajit and Dahlia did their four traditional wedding rounds in the gurdwara and they were officially husband and wife.

I sat behind Ajit, and I felt a single tear roll down my eye. I was so happy for him. No matter what we've been through, I ultimately wanted the best for Ajit and I was so happy he was getting it.

Dahlia was the perfect match for him. I couldn't imagine his life... or frankly, my life without her. She took on the daunting ask of turning Ajit Ahuja into a better man. That was a task not all were suited for. She also came into my life, as a result of being with Ajit, and I was thankful for that, too.

After the ceremony, all the guests headed to the Gurdwara's langar hall to eat. Everybody indulged in some Punjabi Indian food. Many guests began leaving after that, but Ajit and Dahlia were busy taking wedding pictures at the backyard of the Gurdwara.

The guests remaining watched them as they did so, and took a seat at the tables placed there. The reception party would be tommorrow, which was a great choice. We were all pretty burnt out from the wedding and festivities , so we needed a chance to just relax and lounge around.

I scanned the guests looking for one in particular, Varun. To my surprise, Varun was standing at the corner of the "room," having a lively conversation with my mother. He seemed really excited about what he was talking about, using a lot of gestures and expressions. My mom just nodded, and she looked pretty intrigued by what he was saying.

I was restricting myself from just going there and joining their conversation, but I couldn't just intrude like that. I let Ajit alone with Varun to catch up, the same way my mom had done for me earlier. Even though, I didn't think that there was much that Varun and mother needed to talk about in private, I just thought it'd be best if I didn't interrupt.

I tore my gaze away from them, until I heard my mom laugh. I looked over at her, and my heart melted. Seeing her smile was my favorite thing in the world, and knowing that Varun was behind that smile melted my heart even more. Man, why did Varun have to be so perfect? It was getting genuinely annoying.

"Which is why my best friend, and Ajit's sister of course has some words to say," Dahlia announced loudly.

I looked over at her with a puzzled expression, "Huh?" I asked.

Dahlia shot me daggers with her eyes. Why would she urge me into giving a speech right now? Wasn't that more of a party thing? I wasn't even ready in the slightest. I guess I had to piece something together now.

I walked over to where Dahlia and Ajit stood and faced the crowd. Oh wow, there seemed to have been a larger crowd than expected. I guess a lot of people didn't go home right away.

"Why now?" I whispered in Dahlia's ear.

Her eyes were still wide and stern, as she said, "Because there'll be no time at the party, and I want to hear what'd you say," through gritted teeth.

"Bridezilla," I coughed, sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes, and I faced the audience again. "Hi everyone, thanks for making it," I started. "I know it means a lot to both Ajit and Dahlia, but it really means a lot to me too. In my wildest dreams I couldn't have dreamt up someone better suited for my brother, Ajit."

I turned to face Dahlia, "Dahlia, you have the ability to light up any room you walk into. You are this bright light, that me and everyone else in your life are just so blessed to have. You are truly the sunshine in this dark world, and I don't know what we'd do without you. You're unapologetically yourself, and you unapologetically love others with all of your heart, and I admire you for that. You deserve all of the happiness in the world, and I mean it."