Chapter 16

One month later, everything was getting back to it's own place. Or it only seemed like it. Bailey never laughed, never talked much, didn't even go near her bakery ever since her mother passed away. It all happened so soon. She was living with her boyfriend but he seemed too distant to her. He was never that cheerful anymore, which was obvious given their circumstances, but Hailey never felt like herself with him anymore. But she wouldn't say anything. He was letting her stay at his house, it was more than enough for her. She doesn't need love, she thought.

Derek had left for work and Bailey was sitting on the couch with a book in her hand, rarely reading it. Her mind was completely blank when she heard the doorbell ring,

It must be Derek, she thought.

She placed the book and move towards the door. When opened the door, she got the shock of her life.

Roman Carter was standing in all of his glory, his eyes clearly amused by her reaction.

"Babe, this is Mr. Roman Carter, our new client. I was just showing him around the properties."

Derek was all smiley and attentive. He quickly moved inside and invited Roman in.

"And she is?"
Roman said directly to her, without breaking eye contact.
But Bailey was breaking into a million pieces inside. She thought she was about to have a heart attack when Derek spoke,

"Oh sorry! I just got carried away. This is my beautiful girlfriend, Bailey. "

"Beautiful indeed." Roman said with an amusing tone as if he was mesmerized by her beauty, which Derek found odd. He never saw Roman talk to anybody like that. He quickly brushed all of those thoughts away and cleared his throat, indicating Bailey to shake his hand. Bailey somehow was able to move her hand to meet his. Roman' s warm hand engulfed her small hand and she felt a weird feeling from it. His demeanor looked friendly but she knew it was just an act. If Derek wouldn't be here, Roman would have ended her life!

Roman shook her hand with a smile, holding it for a bit too long than necessary and then let go. This interaction was getting Derek attention and he couldn't make out of this situation.

"And Bailey, did I tell you that Mr. Carter is my Boss's finance!"

No, Derek. You never mentioned about this fact. You never mentioned that you knew Roman!, Bailey thought to herself.

Roman looked at Derek now, clearly amused by the situation.

"Yes, that's me." Roman spoke smoothly and followed Derek inside the apartment. Bailey felt as if she was standing naked, wanted to wrap her hands around herself so that she could hide from him.

When Bailey followed them, she saw Derek showing Roman the beautiful view from the big glass window of the apartment. They were busy talking and Bailey stood there akwardly, thinking of his next move.

Is he going to tell Derek that we have met? Is he going to ruin Derek's career? Is he going to hurt us?!

She was about to have a panic attack but she quickly spoke,

"I'm gonna be in the kitchen, I 'll make some coffee." And she quickly moved to avoid them.

She quickly opened  four of the top cabinets infront of her and stood between, trying to hide, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

It will all be over!! No! Don't worry. Derek is here. Everything will be fine!

Then she heard the front door getting open and closed quickly, quietness filled the room and she opened her eyes.

Maybe he left!

" I am still here." Roman spoke calmly and Bailey quickly turned to see him standing, leaning against the kitchen wall, arms crossed across his chest.
" You boyfriend left, though!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys!! I am so sorry for the super late update!🙏🙏 I started a new job and had to move to a whole new state but now I am finally settled💕 I will be uploading weekly, I really want to finish this story. I have to say when I started this I was in a different mindset but now I am in a good place. I will follow up soon with a long chapter❤️ Thank you so much for giving it a chance🥰🥰 See you soon😇