Chapter 9

Bailey was eagerly waiting for Derek. She  had to tell him about the hit and run case so that they could talk about it.
She saw him approaching. Derek looked very happy. He looked very handsome in the black suit.

"Hello? I think you are looking for me."

She saw Derek standing in front of the table with a big smile. She smiled and kissed him immediately.
~~~

"I'll be leaving day after tomorrow and I want you to come with me. "
Derek was speaking about something but Bailey's mind was somewhere else.

"Bailey? Are you listening?"

"Huh? What were you saying?"

"I was saying that will you come with me to Atlanta?"

"Atlanta?"

"Seriously, were you even listening at all? Am I that boring?" He joked but Bailey put her hand on top of his which was rested on the table. She couldn't take it anymore.

"Derek, I have to tell you something?"

"What? Wait? Are you pregnant?"

"No! I am not!"

"Then why are you acting so strange today?"

"Listen to me very carefully." She held his hand tightly and spoke,

"On the night of your house warming party, you said you had an accident that night remember?"
Derek felt shocked upon hearing this.
Why was she asking about that incident?

"Actually, there was a woman who was hit. She died. "

Derek forgot how to speak but his head was screaming inside.
How did she know? Who told her? And how much she knows!

"Derek, say something?"
Derek was trembling with nervousness on the inside. He was expecting her to know about that incident but not so soon. He wanted to stall it at as much as possible but everything comes with a price. Ruby had been very generous with him and now he has to pay her back. He was expecting this, but not like this, specially when he wanted to spend some alone time with Bailey.

"Derek, I know it was just an accident. Its not your fault. "
Bailey spoke while trying hard not to cry in front of him.

"We can find a way. They have called me for my statement tomorrow. I'll explain them everything. They'll understand. " She continued and suddenly Derek let go of her hand and stood up.

"You don't have to go anywhere. I'll go there myself. "
Bailey too got up and held his arm to make him sit again.

"Wait, just hear me out."
Ruby took a deep breath. She loved Derek, he was the best for her. He was sweet, kind and a loving person. So how could such a terrible turn of event ruin his life! She would do anything for him and right now, he needed her the most.

"I'll go there and tell everything but I will not tell them about you taking my car later that night."

"What?"

"I will not tell them about you accident."

"Bailey, you don't have to lie for me. Besides I don't think I hit a person. I would know if I had hit someone, right? "

"Yes, but I am not going to lie. My car is damaged and they are doubting me about it. So, I have to give some explanation to them. I'll just tell what I know."

"You are right. I think you should tell them everything including the fact that I took your car that night."

"No, Derek. I am not gonna do that. "