Seventy-three || Katie

Walking into the kitchen I stretch my arms out as I glance at the clock on the kitchen wall, next to the fridge

Walking into the kitchen I stretch my arms out as I glance at the clock on the kitchen wall, next to the fridge. 'Six forty,' I laugh under my breath as I grab a peice of bread from the bread dispenser.

In all honestly my mother was sort of in the right for buying it. I made sure to tell her last week that it wasn't a waste of money, since I thought she'd appreciate the compliment.

Humming to myself as I place a singular peice into the toaster I'm not all that hungry this morning. It's the summer and I haven't planned much yet except for hanging out with Colton next week. I'm not sure if it's a date or not since neither of us asked.

As clique as to sounds he's my brothers best friend. I never really assumed anything would ever happen between us. We where like strangers, passing each other in the halls as if we weren't in the same house. Now we're here. So much has changed in such little time that it's still loading in my brain.

'Morning,' I recognize Colton's voice. Not giving me time to property respond he drops two more pieces of bread into the empty toast holes before pushing the switch down.

'Morning.' I playfully nudge him in the shoulder which makes him exhale.

When the toast that I placed in pings, I reach out for it but he stops me. Grabbing a plate he takes it out for me before I can actually touch it myself.

'I'll do it for you, so you don't need to burn yourself,' he offers so I move back. Watching as he grabs butter from the fridge, he take a knife from the drawer. Scraping it onto the toast, I watch as it melts into the bread.

Stepping back I gently hop onto the kitchen counter so I'm sitting on it. Turning my head to the side I stare around the room. I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel an odd sense of familiarity. As if I've done all this before.

Sliding my hair off my shoulders I decide to brush off the thought. I've woken up early plenty of times before, that could be it. Especially since I'm constantly doing my schoolwork in the mornings. It's why I'm awake right now.

Taking a deep breath I can't help but smile. The air in the room is thick, it smells of toast and the cold.

Staring at Colton's as he reaches his hand up, the sleeve of his grey hoodie slides down slightly. Following my eyes down to where the sleeve drops, I'm only now becoming aware of how he looks so much older. Not drastically but I guess it's never really clicked in my head that we're all growing.

That or maybe he just gained more definition in his body and I'm just overthinking it.

'Was coach hard on you guys recently?' I ask and he turns back to hand me my plate. Hopping off the counter I grab my laptop as we both head to sit on the couch.

'Yeah? how'd you know?' He gives me a suspicious side eye but I just innocently shrug. 'I'm going to miss her though. Even though she was harsh.'

'Yeah, she coached you guys since you started high school right? I'd be sad too.' I smile. 'She's known you since you where this short little kid straight out of middle school. She would pat you on the head back then and now you look down to her to talk.'