Chapter 2

***

The Palace was never as alive as it had been the past week. Long streams of mogra flowers with plump roses in between were hanged all around the palace. And when the breeze blew, it carried with it the fragile white petals and their sweet fragrance.

The kitchens bustled with cooks preparing various delicacies and savouries. Apart from them, there were also tons of gifts that poured into the palace. Precious stones in silver platters, Silk sarees which were strewn with pearls and precious stones, all kinds of intricate gold jewellery studded with stones.

Ruh touched the platter, which was a sign that she accepted the gift. She sat stooping down relaxing her back muscles but sat erect once another guest had come in. Her back felt like someone had reached in and squeezed her spine. Also she felt a tingling sensation on her nose now and then, she had been controlling the urge to scratch it since an hour.

Her to be husband was right there seated beside her accepting gifts too. Besides the fact that he was tall she knew nothing about him. Not even how he looked. As absurd as it was, she was marrying someone whom she literally didn't know and everyone here was wishing them a long married life.

Like they had any other option, she had to marry him and live with him as long as one of them dies.

Ruh tsked and called over mother, she pulled her mother closer once she came over,

"Mother, I'm tired...My back is aching...Can I retire to my room?"

Even if her mother's face was covered, she knew her mother wore the devil's expression right now.

"No! Just shut up and sit for a while!"

She pouted as her mother said that. She wanted to stamp her feet and throw a tantrum like she did when she was a child. But she was not a child anymore.

***

Jellal noticed his bride fidget in her seat now and then. He clearly knew she was no longer comfortable.

And by what he assumed, she had asked her mother to be left to retire for the night which her mother clearly denied.

Jellal looked at her veiled form. There was no way he could see how she looked. It was forbidden. His investigations were leading nowhere and slowly he was letting go of the doubt that this shehzaadi beside him was the murderer.

He even refused to eat anything that came from the palace's kitchen with the fear of being poisoned. For a large man, who ate meat and heavy food everyday, the fruits that he filled his stomach with were doing nothing.

His stomach grumbled too. They both have been at this since morning. She was getting tireder by the minute too. He stood up which was followed by every one in the court standing up.

He announced to every one of them that he was retiring for the night and left the court room.

After retiring to his room and gobbling down an apple, the guards announced the twin princesses, Dharma and Dharna. He looked at the princesses who's mouths were curved in a mischievous smile. They did not seem older than fourteen.

"What is it?" He asked curious to why his nieces in law were here.

"Fufa..." One of the twins dragged on. "Bua has called you!"

"Bua?" He said pronouncing the strange word.

"Bua. Our Bua, you're marrying her tomorrow!" Said the other twin still smiling.

He looked at them both suspiciously. They seemed like they were playing him.

"And your Bua has herself called me?" He asked them.