Chapter 34

Ruh looked out of the tent expectantly. He said he would come back tonight. The tent was far more luxurious than what the soldiers and him were staying in. They camped a mile away from her. She walked out of the tent to look at the horizon. She expected to see a tiny dot flicker towards her. Soon it will grow bigger and bigger, until it was him on a horse. She gripped the shawl tighter around her body. The north was colder than Agra. And without the warmth of palace walls, it seemed colder. A light breeze blew her hair to the side.

She wore it like he liked, free and flowing, with minimal jewellery. She regretted it for a minute, Ila had a hard time untangling all the knots and the pain made her cringe. But she did it for him, she loved watching him play with her tresses like a child. Somedays, he stayed at camp. But he said he would return today and she expected him to return.

"Waiting for your lovely husband, are we?"

She jumped at the voice. To her side was Farookh, it had been a month or so since she had seen him. He had grown a beard which covered his cheeks and jaw. She should've been happy, but her stomach twisted seeing him.

He sighed, "Has it been that long that you and your husband seemed to have mended your ties now? Last time I saw you, you were eager to run away." He taunted her.

"With time, people change, bhaisa." She emphasised on the word 'brother'.

"Do they now? Does it really seem to you that he loves you? So gracious of him, he loved Nadiya and then married Ada once she left, fathered a daughter with her. And now you? What is it missing?" He looked at her seriously.

"A son."

He continued, "Do you think he'll even spare a glance at you once he has a son? Especially when his first love is back and patiently waiting for him. You know Nadiya, does it seem like the woman would let you parade her man while she stays put? What could've Jellal told her that she's willing to wait? Are you really that naïve that you never wondered this? And jumped right into his arms when he showed you the slightest ounce of affection?" His tone raised with every word, until his last question shook her to the core.

"Fine, a few days affection it is. But I want that too, I wanted this for too long and even it it is for a few days, I will relish it till it lasts." She said in defiance.

"As you wish. This won't last long and you know it too. When the rose fades away, come find me." He said sure in as if something was going to go wrong. He left after that, leaving her thoughts a mess. She broke from her thoughts when she saw the hustle bustle from the concubines' tent. She heard a flutter of giggles as they stepped out from the tent. She frowned and walked to them, their chiming stopped when they saw her approaching. They bowed their heads in respect.

  "Why all this commotion?" She asked sternly. "His majesty has ordered us to go to the camp." A brown haired concubine handed her a farman. Indeed he had, it held his seal.

  "Whatever for?" She frowned in confused. All the girls giggled around her, "Your majesty is so naïve." A tall girl said, followed by another round of giggles. "Before he got married to you, he fancied us, a lot." She winked at her. Ruh's eyes widened at her confession. "You know Zelma, I actually miss him, you know he gave the best kisses." Zelma nodded at that, "And he used to do this thing, he used to grab your-"

"Enough!" Ruh said, her face flaming. She did not want to hear about her husband's past conquests. And now he had invited them all over. Jealousy ran through her as she thought about it more. She turned around to leave. She felt embarrassed and angry. He had promised he would come to her today. Why did he even make such vague promises when he didn't wanted to keep it?

She huffed in anger and ran straight into someone. "What are you doing?" He chuckled at her, while she rubbed her sensitive nose. "What are you doing here?" She asked surprised that he was here.

  "Didn't I tell you I would be back by evening?" He frowned in confusion. "You did, but... the concubines...?" She asked curiously. "Are going to the camp. That is the only thing keeping them sane in this cold." He shuddered realising that it was cold and pulled her shawl closer to keep her warm. "What are you doing out here in this cold? Let's go back to the tent." He pushed her forward with his hand on her waist.

    Ruh poured coffee in a tumblr, its steam swirling above the cup and disappearing into nothing ness. She held it with both her hands, warming her palms up. Sitting beside him she gave him the tumblr. Muttering a thanks he took it from her.

   "So..." She dragged, "The girls were talking about your...uh..talents," She paused thinking her next words,"About you know, uhm," She cleared her throat.

   "About? Why are you hesitating so much?"

  "I'm not!" She said defensively."About your special skills in bed." She said quickly. Once he realised what she had said he coughed up the coffee he was drinking. Wiping his lips, his coughs turned to laughter.

"Who was it? Was it Zelma and Adalia?" He said between laughs. She frowned, "Yes, one if them was Zelma." His laughter rang louder after hearing her answer. "Is something funny?" She snapped at him. "Oh you're so naïve, they were just teasing you. I haven't slept with any of the ladies inside the harem, honestly." He chuckled. "Slept on their beds, yes. With them? No."

   "But...."

"Don't you trust me?" He looked offended. "No, I didn't mean it like that."

  "I know." He laughed again. "So naïve."

***

A/N: vote and comment. So tomorrow 29th is my birthday. As hopeless as my life is, the only thing that makes me happy is the comments you guys comment. You guys have no idea how happy I get when I get comments notifications. So yeah, I wanted to celebrate my 21st bday with you guys.

  So vote and comment. Please do check out "Till Fate Tie Us Together." That story needs a lot of your love. Love you guys. Have an awesome day!