Chapter 25

***

   It was early in the morning when Ada begum barged inside her room with her anklets and bangles tinkering. Ruh sighed and put down the book she was so engrossed in reading. Ada barging in was never a good sign.

"I'm going to apply for a divorce!" She proclaimed.

Ruh nearly had to check her hearing sensed were alright or not, "What?" She asked surprised. Ada casually sat on the settee beside her.

"I'm thinking of divorcing him.."

"Ada! Whatever made you take this decision?!"

"Why? This marriage is for namesakes. I just want to get out of this palace, Ruh..."

"Where will you go? What about Diya?"

"Can you calm down woman? I'm leaving Jellal not Agra! I'll survive, maybe get into trade. Diya doesn't stay here most of the time. I think you would look after her, won't you?"

"Why this decision out of blue?" Ruh asked her, her curiosity at peak.

"I'm a twenty- five year old woman and I've already been married and am a mother of a four year old. I think I'm too young to stay in a love less marriage like this."

"Then I should be divorcing him too, don't you think?"

"Still, my opinion is, you should stay, my parents are not alive to mind me but yours are and I don't think Royal family of Jaisalmer would take it sportingly. Besides, I think you have a very good shot at this marriage, why are you even afraid when Jellal is here every night?"

"Are you jesting Ada? He hasn't visited me in over a month."

"I am perfectly serious. He has been here every night. How can you be oblivious to that?"

"This is shocking, Ada. I-I don't know what to say." She stammered.

***

    Just like every other day, night time arrived, stars rose up, diyas were snuffed. Ruh slipped into her bed sighing. She observed the pattern on the ceiling. It was a complex design in circles. They seemed to move sometimes, she knew the sole purpose of it was to make her sleep. She blinked twice and turned to the right. She has to stay awake for a while. 'Was it true?' ' Would he come?'

And just when the moon was at its peak, her chamber door creaked open slowly. She saw a figure entering the room clutching what seemed like a pillow. She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to act asleep.

The other side of the bed dipped under his weight. "Just why do I do this?" He groaned in a muffled voice.

"That is a question I am to ask, isn't it?"  She said turning to face him.

"Yah!" He yelped and fell out the bed, with a thud. He groaned and stood up rubbing his lower back. "What are you doing awake? It's late."

She sat up straight too. "What is this? I heard you were sneaking in like a thief, for over a month."

"You heard wrong!" He said trying to hide away his embarrassment, "I just came here tonight!"

"Truly? Then why are you here tonight?" She asked playing with her braid.

He looked like he had put his own foot in his mouth, which he had actually. "I... I... Are you complaining? Why? You don't like me coming here? Well, I never touched you, if that is what you're worried about." He said bitterly.

She cringed. "That is not what I asked. Stop making assumptions. It is not that I'm disgusted by your touch, it is because I am bothered by those hands touching other women. I want to be the only woman you grace your affections on."  She took a deep breath and continued,

"I am a woman of immense pride. I will do nothing anymore that injures my pride. I am willing to be your wife in every way if you be, only my spouse. I apologise in advance but I want you to leave now."

He looked dumbfounded. His mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

"I might need an heir someday. An heir ensures political stability. What then? Ada has applied for divorce. Will you be stubborn as now then?" He reasoned out.

"I am the only one who can give you a  legitimate heir, the scales are heavier on my side. Choose me. For your betterment and for the Sultanate."

"This is blackmail, Ruh Begum! Why? Have you lost trust, that your love could possibly win me over?"

She clenched her fists under the blankets. "Yes. For you have already loved and been loved and me neither. For what I assume as love could just be an challenge that I merely want to achieve."

"So you resort to blackmail? How come you show different colours of you whenever we talk? What happened to the sweet maiden who was giddily in love with me, her husband?"

Her eyes filled up with tears, "Her husband constantly chose another woman over her again and again and again so much so that she had to resort to blackmail!"

"I did not choose Nadiya over you. You were not a choice for me to choose. Must we argue on this every fortnight? You are so lovelorn because I do not accept your love for me, what about me? I love Nadiya,  yet you don't want me to love her. Let us agree, if I leave her and be with you, right here, can you  give me joy?"

"Yes. Joy of fatherhood ofcourse!" She retorted.

"I am already a father." He counter attacked her.

"But not yet of an heir. Which only I can provide." She retorted again.

"That is where you are wrong, Ruh. Nadiya can provide an heir too."

"An illegitimate heir?!" She asked shocked.

"Not if I wed her."

She gasped, "You won't."

Her hands shook. Tears rushed to her eyes. What had she not done for him? Then why? Why was it always her?

"I won't. For now." He sighed and picked up his pillow and turned to walk away.

"Don't."

He stopped in his tracks. "Don't ever show me your face again. I'm leaving this palace next thing at dawn. And I swear, I am not coming back even if you beg on your knees." She said her lips quivering.

"You won't step a foot out of this palace. Do you understand? One of my wives wants a divorce, other leaving Agra. Do you have any idea how much that will weaken my political stand?" He ridiculed her.

"Then stay with me if you don't want that. Or leave and I will leave too!"

She said and laid on the bed with her blanket covering her head. After a minute or so, the bed dipped again. For some reason, she felt sorry. So very sorry. She wanted to apologise. To just let him go. She had won after so many days and nights, still it didn't feel like a win.

"Just one son. Just an heir. That's it. Don't even expect me to see your face after that." He agreed to all her terms in a cold tone.

Her tears flowed uncontrollably. What had she done? She muffled her cries though she knew he was well aware.

***

A/N: Okay you impatient people, I had my final board exams that is why I didn't update. Does any one even read this note? I had informed in the previous chapters my finals were nearing.

Okay vote and comment!