Chapter 33

Ruh clicked her tongue in frustration. It had been a fortnight since that incident. He had been kind to her ever since. He'd come over to her chambers to mull over decisions he had to make, sometimes he asked for her opinion. But that was what it was, he was exceptionally kind. He treated her like a porcelain doll. Like she was fragile. If anyone told her that she would be this desperate, she would've laughed it off.

"That is the fifth time, you did that." He sighed and looked her her smiling. His dimples were almost covered under his stubbled cheeks.

"Did what?"

He clicked his tongue and made the noise. "This." He said. He cracked his knuckles and looked at her.

"Was I disturbing you? I am sorry..." She apologised genuinely. "It is fine... Is something bothering you?" He asked concerned. There it was, he looked at her like she would break any moment.

"I am not weak. What happened happened. Stop treating me like I am some delicate flower!" She snapped at him annoyed. He looked at her confused, "I know you're not. I am just concerned, that's all." He clarified.

She sighed. She forcefully took all his scrolls and papers from his hand and set it aside. She leaned on his shoulder holding on to his arm. "I know...it's just. You know The Religious Council is considering this as a bad omen? They think this is a sign that we shouldn't be married?" It worried her, the religious council was powerful and it would be naïve to think they're not.

"They always sniff out trouble. I'm not letting them get to you." He said in all seriousness. "I know you wouldn't and my brother wouldn't let them too. But it would've been easier if I didn't get nightmares. I don't know why I get them, Maasa said it must've happened while I was kidnapped." She confessed.

"Kidnapped? You were kidnapped?"

"Yes. I was seventeen then." She didn't like talking about it but she wanted him to know.

"Who? Who kidnapped you?" His jaw was shut and he looked angry.

"I don't remember...." Before he could speak, she held his hand firmly. "Shehnshah...I don't remember anything of that incident or anything before it. I lost memories of seventeen years of my life." She confessed, he looked shocked. Her mother had warned her not to say anything about this to anyone.

"Did you really? That is terrible..." He linked his fingers with hers. A deep warmth spread through her. She remembered how she struggled to remember everyone but could not, her mother consoled her and made her believe it didn't matter.

"Salim told me he fancied you and that is why he wanted to marry you."

She looked back at him in shock and giggled. "No. It couldn't be. He really wanted our alliance, nothing else." She brushed it off.

"So you've not had eyes for anyone except me?" He asked a little amused and a little proud.

"You just want to know to soothe your ego." She hit him playfully. He laughed.

"But I have not. I loved Nadiya and then I loved you. I worry, if in the future if there was someone else, what if my love shifted to her?"

She looked at him. That question bothered her too. What if he fell out of love with her? Kings always did that. Their heart was never stable.

"I don't know..." She said uncertain.

***

        "Jellal! Atleast give me the benefit of doubt!" Salim yelled at his very furious brother.

  "About what? It was clear you're planning a coup to dethrone me. Why else would you meed the rebel groups?" He snapped at him, his jaw tightening.

   He didn't even mind that he had walked halfway inside his personal harem, he was that furious. Hearing the noise, Ada came out of the chambers.

   "I met them because I wanted to know what they were planning. I do not want to dethrone you! I wanted to help you. Believe in me, I'm your brother!"

  Jellal almost believed him but he had a lingering doubt, it was too risky. What if he was lying?

      "Okay, I know this would not help my case. But if I really wanted to kill you, I would've done it years ago. I wouldn't have waited until now. And I never wanted the throne. I just wanted something else which I thought would come with the throne but as fate would have it, they did not want me." He chuckled painfully, his eyes set behind him.

   Jellal looked behind him to see a figure behind  the muslin cloth. From her dark skin, she assumed it was Ada.

  "I just came to check what all the noise was about." She said and turned back walking away quickly.

  "I don't know if I can say anything beyond that but I won't visit them again. But I know they're planning to attack Lahore. Very soon. They have troops already shifted there. They're just waiting for the cannons."

"Cannons?" Jellal asked shocked.

"Yes. If I were you, I'd move quicker. Send troops immediately. They might attack anytime." He warned.

"I will. But you, you will stay here. I do not trust you with my troops. No offence." He said seriously.

"Slightly taken but I understand."

****

    "Do you have to go?" She asked curiously.

   "Yes. I'm contemplating on staying too, I do not wish to leave you." He sighed tucking her hair behind her ear.

  He had just told her he had to go fight at Lahore. She took a deep breath and looked at him, "I am coming with you." She said sternly.

"No. It is too dangerous." He said to her. "I don't care. I am coming with you."

  "Ruh..." He sighed trying to make her understand. He didn't want her in danger.

  "I can defend myself, besides I am not asking to fight beside you, which I want to but I know it will just distract you. I'm just asking if I can come with you with your caravan. You do take cooks and dancers and doctors, just add me to the list too! I'll stay inside the tent. Please, Shehnshah... I cannot live in agony and anticipation waiting for your letter!" She pleaded with him.

He agreed. As if he could ever refuse any of her pleads. She always won such battles. "But one condition. You and your ladies and your assigned guards will stay in the nearest village and not with my troops." He stated.

  She bit her lip, it was still far but she agreed. Atleast he could run to her and she could run to him if they needed each other. "Yes but in the nearest village to the battlefield."

  "Stubborn woman." He chucked and kissed her forehead lovingly.

***

Vote and comment. Please vote this story is in Wattys so every vote counts.