Chapter Four

NICKOLAS

     Nickolas approached slowly. Kneeling on the kitchen floor, he took a moment to gather his thoughts. Before him lay his fiance, with her back to him, head tucked down tight. She had pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her head. She didn't make a sound, for a moment he wasn't even sure that she was breathing. He looked at her torn dress. It was dirty, not just from travel and it was several inches to short. She wore men's boots held together with straps of cloth. And her hair was knotted and dirty. Ms Neeleys reaction disturbed him as much as her appearance.  Something in him knew this was not about his Aunts actions. Most people would have tried to stand their ground or simply left, but instead, she had made herself small, protecting herself where she could, she simply waited. Nickolas was sick at the thought that this woman was accustomed to being hit.

"Elizabeth." He spoke softly, carful not to frighten her. "Please sit up." Eliza obeyed emmediatly, keeping her head down she rose to a sitting position and pulled her knees up to her chin. "I'd like to apologize. I've no idea what came over my aunt, but I can assure you nothing of the sort will ever happen again." Eliza didn't respond, and she didn't look at him. "You wanna tell me why you walked here in the middle of the night?" He spoke softy hoping his question didn't sound like an accusation.

Her reply came in a broken whisper. "The s-stage w-was  rob-b-bed. One of the drivers w-was in on it, he s-shot his partner. I was in the woods," she paused and turned her head to hide her face. " for privacy. You understand? I was w-walking back when I heard s-shots. So I h-hid at the edge of the woods." Eliza trembled slightly as she continued. "I saw the driver get s-shot, so I ran."
Nickolas muttered a curse.
"Did you report the robbery?" Why did I ask that? The woman's terrified, and my first thought is, did she tell the sherif?

"I-i f-f found the sherif in the next town."

"When did it happen?" You insensitive mule, he cursed himself.
"Five days ago."
"And how did you get here, tonight, why were you walking tonight?"
"I-i didn't h-have fare for another s-s-stage. So I walked. A livery worker in t-town gave me directions to your ranch this morning."
" You've been walking for five days?" Oops, that came out harsh. Eliza simply nodded.
Nickolas stood and extended his hand. "Come with me." Eliza eyed his hand cautiously but quickly obeyed. Her hand was small and boney. It felt fragile in his large calloused hand. He led her to his chair in front of the hearth and urged her to sit.