Chapter Ten

Nickolas was nervous. He supposed most grooms were, but he was nervous for a completely different reason. He knew he had to handle Elizabeth carefully. He didn't want to compare his new bride to an animal, but maybe, if he handled her like one of his horses, hands off, use passive pressure, let her catch him, maybe she'd come around.
   "Aunt Ida fixed supper. Why don't you head inside and get it heated while I put the horses out." Elizabeth nodded and obediently headed for the house.

Her quick obedience bothered him as much as his mother's dress hanging off her slight frame. She looked like a little girl playing dress up. Nickolas couldn't help looking after her. Her long red hair swung between her shoulders in a loose braid, with several wayward curls sticking out and twisting around the braid. Mothers blue gingham was just an inch or two too short. Nickolas silently cursed himself when he noticed her petite feet going up the porch steps, the bottoms dirty and still heavily blistered. He told her he'd buy her shoes, what's more he'd told her her raggedy old boots were unacceptable, and obediently she'd gone barefoot to her own wedding. Idiot, she's clearly traumatized. She thinks everything you say is a demand. He'd have to be more careful with his words in the future.

Kicking himself, Nickolas got the horses settled for the night. An hour latter he washed in the basin outside and headed up the back steps.
When he stepped through the back door Elizabeth startled. Spinning to face him, she nocked over the serving tray with their stew and coffee. Glass sprayed across the floor and scalding liquid splashed up her legs. Nickolas rushed to her in three long strides. Even before he reached her, she was begging, "I'm sorry. Please, I didn't mean to. I'm sorry." Elizabeth started to back away, but Nickolas grabbed her around the waist and lifted her off the floor. It wasn't what he had in mind, but if she tried to run from him, she'd cut her feet even more. Already, there was a small pool of blood on the floor.
"No, please,no." She sobbed.
Nickolas held her to his chest and started down the hall, her panicked sounds tore at his heart. "Shhhh, your okay." He needed to act quickly and didn't have time to calm her fears. Holding her small frame with one arm, he went into the washroom and started pumping cold water into the basin. All the while whispering calming words, Elizabeth sobbed into his chest, to frightened to fight. She was limp when he set her on the table where he did his laundry. He pulled her skirts up to her knees, and she begged him, "No, please. Please dont." Fighting tears of his own Nickolas placed her feet in the basin. "Shhh, it's okay. Shh." Nickolas tended her cut feet. Rinsing the glass off carefully so as not to push it in. He removed small shards stuck in her feet and assessed the burns. Luckily, most of the coffee hit the loose fitting dress. Some stew splatter left red spots on top of her feet, but all in all, she seemed okay. He pitched the water and glass out the window and refilled the basin with cold water to ease the sting.
Nickolas stood before the basin and placed his hands on her thin hips. Silent tears streamed down her face, and violent hiccups racked her chest. Nickolas leaned down and placed a kiss on her hair. "Shh, you're safe. Elizabeth, you're safe." Realizing his touch was far too intimate, Nickolas placed his hands at her elbows and gave a gentle squeeze.

He rested his forehead on top of her bent head and held her while she cried. When at long last she seemed calm, Nickolas spoke. "Elizabeth, sweetheart, look at me." Slowly, she looked up. Nickolas was startled when her red, watery eyes held more confusion than fear. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I frightened you, I was afraid you would get hurt. This wouldn't have happened at all if i had remembered to buy you shoes. And I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for whatever happened that makes you feel this way. No one should have to live in fear." Nickolas gently wiped her tears. "Let's get you dry and go eat."
"But," Elizabeth started to sob." I-i ruined d-dinner."
"Don't worry about it. There's plenty to eat around here."