Chapter Nine

Nickolas felt like he'd been bucked off a horse. She thought he was flaunting something as simple as a bath and a hand-me-down dress? Like she is something to be bought, does she think she is worth so little?
    "I, I don't know what to say to that. Of course you can have a bath. Why would you think, why would I," he was really struggling. "Elizabeth, I told you you are safe here. That doesn't just mean I won't hit you. It also means I will provide for you, food, clothes, soap anything you need. Those are just the basic necessitys. Tell me what you want. You want to plant flower beds, I'll help you. You want new curtains, I'll hang them. Want to paint the house pink, go ahead." He realized he was starting to yell. The last thing he wanted was to scare her. He took a step back and wiped a hand over his face.
"Take a bath, think about what you want. I'll be outside."
"I-i, I don't s-see any point i-in w-witing."
  "You sure you haven't changed your mind? You still want to marry me?"
"H-have y-you?" She didn't look at him.
"No, Elizabeth, I haven't. But, I don't want you to feel like you have to do this. I want you to be happy here, and that starts with knowing that you are safe."
"C-can I take a b-bath f-first?"
Nickolas chuckled. "It's already ready. Take your time and call for Ida if you need anything."

   The drive into town was quiet. Nickolas could tell his bride was nervous. He wanted to reach out to her to comfort her in some way. He knew she wasn't ready. It may be a very long time before she was comfortable with him touching her. Maybe if he knew what she was afraid of, he could help her get through it. Would she be able to tell him? Maybe not now, but soon.
    Nickolas pulled the team into the pastors yard and helped Elizabeth down. Her waist was thin and boney, and it pained him to think she had been denied her most basic needs. He set her gently on her feet and offered his hand. He wasn't surprised that she took it without hesitation. She seemed to be very obedient, and it troubled him.
  They walked hand in hand up the porch steps where Pastor Wilks was waiting in an old rocking chair. He was a kind old man and seemed to notice Elizabeth's discomfort immediately. He greeted her with kind eyes and a gentle voice.
"It's such a beautiful day, folks. What do you say to a porch wedding?"
Nickolas gave Elizabeth's hand a gentle squeeze. "That okay with you?" She gave a small nod, and the pastor opened his Bible. The ceremony was quick and simple.
Within two hours, Mr and Mrs Tate pulled up to their ranch. While they were gone, Aunt Ida had packed her things, and one of the ranch hands had taken her home. They were alone.