Chapter Two- A sibling

I grab my purse and exit the camper. I lock up and make my way down the street. It's a nice one, leafy and light with lots of beautiful little homes. This wasn't the grandest street, it wasn't like my mothers or even the Nomikos neighbourhood, but it was real working people making it by, and I liked real.

When I reach the home it is red brick built with two windows at the front, a single levelled home. You can see that once there were many flowers and plants adoring the side of the walkway. Someone had loved it at some point, but it was unkempt now and untidy. It didn't look like anyone had attempted cutting the grass this side of the new year. Ivy was growing up and over the porch, and trailing up and along the house, it wouldn't be long and it would be taking over the window to my left. I can see as I hesitantly step up the steps that there is some paper covering up the window to prevent anyone seeing in, or perhaps anyone seeing out.

My eyebrows meet with apprehension.

"Shit... walk away" I beg myself.

"Who is it" comes a voice from within. It's small, and yet fierce all at once. A defiance in the tone makes me curious, too curious to walk away. I could detect the tone of a young teenager a mile off. I had been around Olympia and Josephine long enough to learn a thing or two.

I lean forward to speak closer to the door "My name is Ms Dawson... I came to speak with your father" I say as confidently as possible.

I knew once a teen smelt blood they were frenzied in their attack of you. Teenage girls reminded me of great white sharks...

"Im not going with you... Im not going into the system to be chewed up and spit out at eighteen with creepy ass weirdos for foster parents... fuck right off"

I stepped back, my face awash with confusion.

WTF.

Social workers? The system?!

"I'm not a social worker" I call back.

The papers on the window move slightly, and a little face peeps out.

"Holy shit" she curses as she disappears.

The bolts are thrown open, and the chain is drawn across the back of the door to reveal as it opens with gusto, a teenage version of ... well... me!

Her finger is poised in the air as she looks me up and down like I'm a curious alien arrived upon her stoop.

I take her in with as much surprise and confusion. She is shorter than me, but not by much. We have the same light brown eyes of our mother, and she had my nose too but with a silver hoop pierced through her right nostril. She looked, a little, no alot, disheveled and in need of some TLC.

"What in the pod people's green earth are you... a shape shifter? No, a body snatcher? Wait... I got this" she said wide eyed and a little mad "you're the one aren't you... the perfect child my mother gave away... and yet couldn't ever get over or stop putting above us"

"What" I ask, starting to feel some of her anger.

"You're the fucking image of her" she says with a grimace.

"Watch your tone" I warn.

"Watch your face" she returned "it's eerie how much you look like her" she said trying to offend me.

"looked in the mirror lately squirt"I retort.

"The black version of my mother... not quite the same as you Snow White"

"Fuck off" I curse at her. "I didn't mean that" I say quickly in defence of myself.

"Watch your tone" she throws back, my words coming back to me with attitude.