Chapter Forty Two - I Promise

It's only after I scored the first goal, in the final five minutes of the first half against Colorado, that I looked up briefly to the family. I scanned quickly, seeing everyone but Moira, and Millie, the one face I was looking for.

The five minutes played on, and Colorado were winning currently with two goals. One in the tenth minute and the other three minutes before mine. My goal was a sucker punch to their confidence, and a boost to ours. Those last five minutes we dominated, and I knew we would come out the second half with the same determination to win.

Colorado's desperation to block our attempts at an equaliser before the half time whistle made them frustrated and stupid. Their younger defender on the right where Clark was sprinting forward with the ball, came at her with a slide tackle that threw her up in the air.

Demitra was heckling the poor tackle from the stands. She could be heard over the crowd, as per.

The defence player received a yellow card, for a poor tackle, and once Clark was up, she limped off the pitch with our medic.

I ran over "you okay"

Clark winced "I think I'm okay. Coach wants me off just in case"

I nodded and squeezed her shoulder "Rest up. See you in a minute"

The game went on, and the ref marked the spot for a free kick. We were only two minutes away now from the end of the game. Alex took it, she was our set piece princess. She curled a ball from the corner like no other, and her delivery to her desired player up pitch, was smooth.

We all took our places. Colorado's defence were up my butt, knowing how close this free kick was to goal. This could go two ways, either Alex was about to kick a screamer into the goal herself, or she was looking for me, to take it through and kick it home.

Alex signalled to me, her fingers brushed her temple, and I knew then to run left to intercept it. I watched that ball like a hawk, as her right leg shot forward, and the ball flew directly where she had signalled, and at the perfect height for me to try out my new header technique.

I leapt up, the defence were seconds behind in leaping up to block me, enough time for that beautiful ball to connect with my temple as I flicked my head sideways, sending it directly into the top corner of the net, the goalies glove barely skimming it.

The stadium went up, and my team ran at me and patted my back. Alex lifted me off of the grass "Nice assist" I told her with a fist bump as she dropped me back to my feet.

The ref let us play on until the ball was kicked out, and then the first half was called. I lifted my jersey and used it to wipe my sweaty face. I looked once again up into the crowd and couldn't see Millie or her Mother. Where was she?! She missed both of my goals. And with that realisation, my mood entirely changed. I dropped my head glumly and walked off with the team.

***
I sat on the bench beside the food truck for five minutes, not able to even move. I looked over the paperwork again and again. My mind was whirling with scenarios, and wondering how this would all end. I had to tell Veda, firstly that her brother was back in town, and secondly, that he would like her home. I didn't know how she would react, perhaps she would want to go. I had only considered myself, but really my focus should have been Veda, and what would make her happiest. My only concern was, that Veda was fifteen, and she may want to go back, but was she old enough to understand that it might not be safe enough to. If Charlie was only back in town until he was again deployed, then Veda would be right back in the same spot in a few months, with a grandmother who didn't know what day it was or whether she was even safe. Why uproot her again?! When she was in school here, safe, loved, and happy?! I guess that was the thing, Charlie didn't know that. If I put myself in his shoes, perhaps it was quite the shock, to return and find your house empty and your siblings gone, not to mention the older sister you have never met had taken your baby sister out of town. I am Millie's daughter, the one Veda said they were made to feel was loved more than them. If Veda heard that, then Charlie heard more. He might even hate me, or resent me still. There was so much to say, and to share, and in its absence, pain and resentment had created their own narration. I had to meet Charlie in person and talk about this, there wasn't time though, to get to New Hampshire and talk before this court date. I would have to suffer it, and it's consequences, but I wouldn't go down without a fight if it swayed in Charlie's favour. I had already made up my mind, that I would fight for her, for her safety, and for her future.