Chapter Forty- A celebration

The week ahead, was relaxed, Veda and I had our dinners in the evening with Willa and Allie. I mentioned to Willa one night that I would like to get back into carpentry, and by the next evening she had done something so thoughtful. She took me out back to the large shed type building they had, in the shade of the forest at the end of their back yard, and she opened the door to reveal a space that she said was mine, if I wanted it.

"Are you joking" I asked, taken aback.

Willa's smile warmed me through "Millie it's all yours" she told me, sounding excited, as if it was a gift for herself "I've even got some tools for you" she told me as she walked across the little work shop and grabbed a heavy bag. She lifted it, and brought it to the work bench, placing it down gentle and opening it up to inspect.

I looked into the bag, reaching in and checking out the items she had collected for me, a tape measure, a leveller, chisels, and screwdrivers among a plethora of other items.

"And here" she said walking over to a cabinet and opening the door "I spoke to your Mother, after you mentioned your little work space at her house. She sent a courier over with your things this afternoon"

As Willa opened the door I almost cried, because inside was my sander, my drills, my saws and my jointer. I walked over, and threw my arms around her before I could even say a word.

"Thank you" was all I could say without crying.

"Of course" she whispered against my shoulder before we parted "it's important that you do something you enjoy. I'm just giving you the space to do it. Allie and I, we don't even use this space. We want you to have it"

Allie and Veda appeared at the door, to see the reveal. Mr Darcy was at Allie's side with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth, and Norman was in Vedas arms, swishing his tail.

"What you going to make first Snow White" Veda asked.

"You like it?" Allie asked.

I went straight to Allie to hug her quickly too "I love it"

I patted Normans head, and looked to Veda "I don't know sis... what do you think I should make. You have something in mind?"

Veda already knew what she would like, it was obvious on her little face as she mocked innocence "Me, oh I don't know. I hadn't really thought. I did just have an idea though, perhaps you could actually make something for Josephine... for me"

I hadn't expected that. I was expecting her to say a shoe rack for her truck load of sneakers, or a vanity for her bedroom.

"Oh, sure, what were you thinking" I asked.

"A bookcase" she asked.

Allie and Willa both looked upon her with affection "Veda that's so sweet" Allie said, tickling behind Normans ears, in Vedas her arms.

"Veda, that is, that's really thoughtful" Willa added, coming up beside her and placing her arm around her shoulder. "Josephine is never without a book"

Veda looked unused to the compliments, and a little awkward "I just know she's got too many" she shrugged, trying to act like it was nothing "and if she puts anymore under her bed then her nose is going to hit the ceiling"

Allie laughed. "A valid concern" she replied.

"I'll make it" I told her "this week" I promised "but I want to make you something too"