Chapter Fifty- A Wish

It's Christmas Eve, the one night of the year I can claim as mine, for a few little hours. The house is a buzz of activity, because the family have all arrived for a dinner party, for yours truly.

"Wren, come down" My Mama called up the stairs "Everyone's here"

I looked out of my window, my eyes fixed on the winter night sky. It was a clear night, and the northern star was bright, and outshining all others. It seemed as good a time as any to make my Christmas Wish, and so I close my eyes tightly, and envision Millie.

Millie.

How can it be that she is still in New Hampshire?! It's so unfair that she is alone at Christmas. I wanted to get a flight out, to surprise her, but it wasn't to be, the flights were booked out, and she had begged me not to. She told me to stay with the family, and she would come. She promised she would come, soon.

"What you doing" Olympia asked from behind me.

My eyes opened, and I looked over my shoulder "making my Christmas wish" I told her.

"Can I make one too this year" Olympia asked, crawling over my bed to sit beside me.

"Sure" I replied, a little quietly, still caught up in my overwhelming missing of Millie.

Olympia sat beside me, and she closed her eyes for a second. I gazed up at her side profile and smiled "you look cute when you're quiet"

She nudged me sideways and I fell off of the bed with a thump.

"Ouch" I squeaked.

She leant over the side laughing, and pulled me back up "sorry birthday girl. Didn't realise I had built up so much muscle"

I poked her bicep "It's pretty decent O. No surprise since you practically moved into Moms gym"

She shrugged and closed her eyes again "I'm focused" she explained.

"What's this wish. It seems to be taking a while" I asked her, teasing her with a tickle to the underarms.

Her warm brown eyes opened, and she patted my hands away "I can't tell you dumb dumb, or it won't come true"

"Well, I disagree. I think it gives it more power to speak it out loud. So I'll tell you mine" I told her.

Olympia turned around and crossed her legs, watching me closely for the answer. She leant back on her hands and raised her thick dark eyebrows "Go on" she prompted. "Although it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's Millie"

I threw a bed cushion at her, it messed up her perfect long dark curls. She threw up the middle finger "Tell me I'm wrong"

"Of course it's Millie" I confirmed "and yours ... yours is Cameron right?" I ask her, almost wishing I could reel it back in the moment it came out, because we still hadn't broached this topic yet. Not together, and not as sisters.

She sat up, and moved her hands to her lap, looking away for a few moments, and fiddling with her thumbs. "Not this time" she revealed.

I frowned slightly, and leaned into her eye-line so she would look at me "So, he was...last year" I asked curiously.

She looked back to me, and nodded briefly, blink and you miss it. "Last year I couldn't ever have imagined my wish not being him. I know it's weird. For us both to talk about him like that. He's always been more a brother to you. I know it's weird"

"It's a little weird" I answered, smiling and lightening the mood "but it's not unexpected"

She looked surprised "it's not" she asked me.