Chapter Forty Nine- The decision

Fall was in full effect. The frost on the morning windows though, it was a sign that winter was fast approaching.

So much had happened over the last two months, and after Wren and her family left, last month, Veda and I felt their absence even more. We missed the fall ball, Olympias birthday, and thanksgiving.

The last month had been tough, we had the funeral of Vedas Gramma, which I wasn't allowed to attend, because Daniel didn't want to meet me. That was fair, it wasn't my Gramma and it wasn't my space to fill, to be their person. It was hard to swallow though, letting Veda go, knowing she needed me by her side. Charlie promised he would sit with her, and be there throughout.

I went for a walk that day, put on some hiking boots that I had discovered in the attic, and walked and walked. My mind was so clouded, and my emotions so raw, that I hadn't even considered or heeded my Mothers warning, about serial killers on hiking trails. I don't think it was until I got home, and Kate called, that I realised what I had done may have been slightly naive.

"Why was your phone location in a forest all day" Kate asked me, a little hyped up and cross, which was unlike her.

I sat my backpack down on the kitchen counter and began to remove the things I had taken with me. I placed down a bottle of water, a hat, and a raincoat.

"I went for a hike" I replied, ignoring her frustrated sighs that followed.

"Millie I called all day. I thought you had been abducted or something. Your cell just rang out" she accused "you suck, you know that"

I sat down on the kitchen stool, and leant against my hand on the counter "and yet you didn't call the cops or the forest rangers" I returned sarcastically.

"I called Moira" she told me.

I sat upright, and became more alert, my hazy thoughts clearing "What did she say" I asked, hesitantly.

"She called the ranger, he checked the records and told her you only entered the park that day, and that you were alone. He said if your car didn't leave by a certain time he would call her back and start looking along the trails. He assured her you would most probably be fine as people walk those trails all day, and most seasons"

"Is she mad" I asked, looking at my phone quickly, and noting missed calls and texts. None were Veda luckily, but most were Moira.

"Millie..." Kate said, sounding more of a question.

"Yeah" I asked, feeling like I was anticipating a slap.

"She's coming out there" she revealed.

"Noooooo" I groaned, dropping my head down to the kitchen work top "nooo Kate. I don't need my Mother here. She should be at work"

"She said it's Friday, and a weekend check in, despite being expensive, and nine hours away, was the only thing that would stop her worrying about you"

I groaned against the cold kitchen counter "I feel like there's more" I asked.

Kates voice returned to her sunshine self "there is" she said enthused "I'm coming with her" she said with a little giggle. "We are literally just boarding. She abandoned me five minutes ago for first class. I'll send you the flight details. Shes got a car organised your end. See you later Mills. Love yooooou"

Kate clicked off, and I looked up at the clock on the wall. It was the afternoon here. They wouldn't be here until after midnight.

I spent the rest of the day getting the house ready for more visitors, checking my phone for Vedas messages, and chatting with Wren on face time.