Chapter Fifteen - Sunday Dinner

I didn't know what a Nomikos baptism by fire was or how it related to me, but Willa told me it wouldn't hurt.

It was a Sunday, with just over a week left of Summer break, and Willa and Allie had convinced both Veda and I to come along to Teddy's Moms for dinner. Apparently, Wrens YiaYia made the best Greek food I would ever taste. I could believe it was good ... but it wasn't true... because her granddaughter was the best Greek food I had ever tasted... and as I thought those exact words I cursed myself for being so crude. Truth though. Truth.

Willa was driving, Allie was shotgun, and Veda was next to me, one knee cocked up beside me casually as she lowered the window and let in the warm breeze. Mr Darcy was sat between us like the baby giant he was, leaning against Vedas arm.

I looked out of the window and enjoyed the changing scenery. I had been the designated driver for an entire year... and to sit back and relax was something of a luxury. Driving without a cat pawing at you was a close second that I had discovered lately too.

Norman was back to dictating Kates love life, and she had lost a date only last week as Norman took chase and sent him packing. I would have to adopt that man eater soon officially, before Kate became an old spinster and her eggs turned to tumbleweed. At least I would never have to worry about Norman savaging a male in my home... which reminded me of the text she had sent me this morning.

I checked my phone and reread it.

K- The neighbours gave me an envelope addressed to you last night. Apparently some guy dropped it off, but he put it in the wrong mail box. Mature guy? They tried to call after him but he didn't hear them. They gave it to me realising it was for you. The envelope only says DAWSON and our building name. Don't panic it's not Vedas dad... I already looked him up. Still in Jail. Long sentence. Want me to post it?

M- Post it over please dear Katherine :) it's probably just mail from the university or something. You do love to play inspector Morse. You're pretty shit at it though 🕵🏼 Don't quit the bakery 😉

K- Moira called yet to collect the teen?

M- No, just a text. She's due back tomorrow though. I'm going to head down there to see her. I'll stop by after. Unless you want to come to dinner with my mother too?

K- Heavy pass... couldn't be weightier.

M- see you tomorrow after dinner then x

K- Remember! I accept doggy bag donations from expensive restaurants 🥹 as your poorer and more unfortunate friend.

M - Noted. But since when did you know me to leave food?

K- Prays you learn 🙏🏻 Over a steak and chunky fries.

M- Veda says we should become Vegan.

K- Veda is fourteen, and not my mom.

M- she's fifteen in two days.

K- still not my mom.

M- Steak it is. She would say more about its life and then subsequent death, to make you reconsider and throw up... but I would put myself off of the steak too. So, ignorance is bliss. 🙈🙈 lalala

K- absolutely. See you tomorrow. Medium rare. 🙈 🥩👩‍🦯

***
Willa parks the car on the large driveway of Wrens grandmother Maria's house. The driveway is filled with cars already, and the sound of voices from inside the large home filter out "So" Willa begins as she cuts the engine and turns in her seat to Veda "remember ... no mention of veganism in front of Maria. She's Greek, food is her love language, and if you say you don't eat meat... she will go back to wearing black like she did when Christos her husband died"