Chapter Thirty Five- Walk of Shame

Kate and I share a look, mine screamed "save yourself" and hers pleaded "May I?"

The creak of the staircase finally broke my Mothers glare, and instead of her asking us the awkward questions, Avery appeared, fully dressed thankfully, behind her. She was completely unaware of our presence, her focus on my Mother, and the tables turned, right back to them.

Rightly so.

My Mother suddenly looked like a deer in headlights, as Avery missed us and instead nuzzled into my Mothers neck from behind "Why haven't you returned with the coffee" she whispered affectionately, her arms coming around my Mothers waist.

Kate coughed for dramatic measure.

Avery's eyes flew open. "Oh" she said with surprise "oh my god" she added as it hit her fully. She took in Kate and I observing them both and looked like she wanted to drop down to the floor and crawl away. Her arms releasing my Mother instantly.

"Indeed" My Mother said.

I was in my element. My Mother was squirming. She tied the knot at her waist tighter, and backed into the wooden chair beside the table, sitting down abruptly. "I guess I have some explaining to do too" she confessed.

I placed my hand on Kates shoulder, with a slight grin appearing on my lips, and I lowered us both into the seats at the table, opposite my Mother. It appeared to be an interrogation, but I didn't want to interrogate her. I just wanted the inside scoop on what was going on with Avery Lane.

My Mother turned to Avery and smiled affectionately, a smile I hadn't ever seen her direct at another "You don't have to stay" she told her "I realise this is a pretty absurd and disturbing second date walk of shame, and you don't need to meet my girls under such odd circumstances. I'd like you to think of them fondly..." and she turned and glared at us "and not" she gestured between us with one hand "whatever this is"

Kate leant into my arm and whispered "Did she just refer to me as one of her girls" she asked.

"She did" I confirmed. "What's going on" I whispered back.

"I don't know" Kate replied "but I like it" she said clutching her chest dramatically "she's claimed me" she gushed "finally"

Avery sat beside my Mom and placed her hand on hers on the table"No, I want to explain" and she looked to me specifically "I think Junior might want to know what I'm doing with her Mom, when I kinda, accidentally, flirted with her at the pool party last week"

Junior.

My Mothers hand whipped out from under Avery's. "You flirted with Millicent" she asked.

Avery looked so remorseful, like she would quite literally do anything at this point to go back in time and it never happen. "It wasn't inappropriate at all. I promise. I didn't realise who she was Moira. I just knew I found her so familiar, which is what drew me to her at the bar. Of course now I know why. She reminds me of you... of you when we met"

I sat forward and got my Mothers attention "It was one comment" I explained, defending her "she just said she loved women in red lipstick" and I gestured to my Mother "which is not a lie it seems"

My Mother held her nerve, you could tell she was rattled but she held herself together, composed as always. "Avery you can leave now" she said, with zero tone that Avery would be hoping to hear. It was flat, unfeeling, and cold.

"Moira" she asked "please ... it wasn't anything"

My Mother bit the inside of her lip. It was one of her tells, that she was holding it back, her real emotion. She placed her hand back on Avery's, after an awkward moment of silence, and finally offered her the reassurance she sought "I'll call you, later, when this is all cleared up. You have my word"