Chapter Thirty Two - Date nights

I had just read Wrens text to say that she was on the way, when a second came in. I was applying my red lipstick slowly, giving myself a little once over to make sure I looked my best. I had gone with a little black dress, and a casual jacket with some sexy little silver heels that somehow made their way into my online shopping cart. Funny how that always happened...

I reach down, bringing my phone up for closer inspection. I had expected it to be Wren again, but it was in fact Kate.

K- I've just arrived for my Date with Kai. I think I'm gonna throw up. Millie please slap me. Why did I let you talk me into this. He's so out of my league it's a joke.

I sighed and typed back quickly.

M- Kate just breathe. It's going to be fine. You are going to get out of the car, walk into that restaurant, and take a seat. He will come in, see your dazzling smile... and his world will never be the same again. Trust me, you're not out of his league Kit Kat, you are the league. He would be lucky to have you. Now shut up and stop putting yourself down. You've got this Katherine. YOU'VE GOT THIS!! I love you x

My phone vibrated in my hand. She was calling me now.

"but the restaurant has stairs" came her concerned voice "and you know I don't walk in heels too good. What if I fall down them like that big kid in hook that rolled down that plank"

The visual made me laugh. Kate was a walking disaster in heels, and I could see exactly what she meant.

"A lot of stairs?" I asked.

"It's a rooftop restaurant" she said flustered.

"Take the elevator" I suggested.

"This isn't that type of place" she explained.

"Then take off your heels on the stairs, and then put them back on" I suggested.

"And lose five inches of height"

"It's that or lose your life Kit Kat, you decide" I retort.

"Fine" she gave in "I'll call you in the morning and let you know how it went"

"Just call me later. I want to know that you got home okay"

"Don't you have a date with Wren" she asked "What if I call you and you're mid make up sex?!"

"No sex" I reply, placing the phone down on loud speaker, and using my hand to instead put in some dangling silver earrings "Too soon"

"Is something wrong" she asked.

"No" I return, my eyes focused on my hands working the earring backs, in the mirror.

Kate leaves a pause of silence before asking "Is it because she told you she slept with other people"

"No" I explain "She just blew it a little earlier, and I'd rather talk. Sex was never the issue, we did plenty of that. There's some things we just need to get straight"

"Well, I can't promise I won't be having sex later... so I'll just text you when I get in. If I'm not using my hands for other things I'll call"

I screwed up my face "eew TMI"

"See you later Mills. Don't get too caught up in what could go wrong with Wren. Think about what can go right. I love you"

"Love you too. Be careful okay"

"Taking off my heels the moment I hit that bottom step" she promised.

"I meant... use condoms" i say with a smile. "But yeah that too"