drafted

"no, darlin, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up just stay this little"
——taylor swift

i would be lying if i told you i didn't feel immediate butterflies as soon as he said my name. i've heard guys say my name so much, but the way it rolled off his tongue made it sound like a completely different name.

i never liked my name very much. a lot of people sing me the song 'hey there delilah' when they see me as a joke, but the more you hear it the more it gets old and annoying.

he makes me like my name. he makes it sound like it's the only girls name he's ever spoken.

i obviously know that isn't true and he has said plenty of girls names before, but he made me feel special and he only said my name. i have to be delusional.

jack opened the bathroom door and we saw luke almost about to knock.

"oh- uh we're about to start i just came to get you guys." he said awkwardly.

"yeah, we were just heading down." i said giving him a small smile.

we all silently walked down the stairs and go to the living room where the cameras were set up and the tv was on.

we all sat down, i was next to luke who was next to quinn and jack was on my other side.

"ok we're airing in three two one."

we all nervously watched the tv as they called the first three overall picks for drafts.

"it's great to see everybody here, live at the prudential center. i want to thank all the staff behind me for all the tireless work they put in these last two years. with the fourth overall pick, the new jersey devils are proud to pick from the usa development program, luke hughes." we all cheered and jack got up and hugged his brother.

"yes!" jack was shouting while his family smothered luke in hugs.

i was laughing until luke looked at me and wrapped me in a hug. i chuckled and rubbed his back.

"i'm so proud of you, kid." i told him and he hugged me tighter.

"thank you so much for being here, really, deli it means a lot."
"of course, this is big, luke. you're in the big league now! it's all you've ever wanted."
"i know, it really is."
"and you get to play with your brother which is absolutely amazing."
"you have to go to our games when we're in michigan."
"i will, i promise."

later that night the three hughes brothers sat down for an interview and once it was over i was gathering my stuff to leave.

"bye, deli. thanks for coming again."
"it's no problem, really luke."
"bye delilah." quinn waved.

i gave him a wave back and then gave ellen and jim a hug as well.

"thank you guys for having me over."
"of course, i'll have luke text you and maybe if you aren't doing anything you can come over to our lake house with us."
"yeah, i'd love to come! just tell him to send me the details."
"i will, thanks for coming, honey."
"of course."

i went to walk out the door before i was stopped by a voice. i turned and saw jack walking towards me.

"thanks for coming, delilah. it means a lot to luke and our family."
"luke's my best friend id do anything for him."
"let me walk you to your car."
"you don't have to."
"oh, please, it's late and dark outside it would be wrong if i didn't."

he grabbed my hand and shut the door behind us as he walked with me to my car.

"it was nice meeting you, jack."
"you too, delilah. hope to see you again."
"please, you'll be seeing so much of me you won't want me to come back."
"i'd always want you to come back, delilah."

i chuckled and smiled at him. i contemplated giving a hug or not but he answered my thoughts for me and wrapped me in a hug.

i hugged him back and it was released too soon, the warm and fuzzy feeling inside of me quickly being replaced with the cold breeze.

"goodnight, delilah."
"goodnight, jack."

i gave him a smile and he opened my car door and i giggled and slid into my car. he shut the door and stepped away onto the sidewalk and gave me a wave. i waved back and turned my car on, giving jack one more glance before driving away.

jacks pov:

i watched delilah drive away and i didn't budge in my spot until her car completely disappeared from view. i walked back into my house before luke jumped on top of me.

"oh- dude." i said shoving him off.

"you like delilah."
"what? no i don't i just met her."
"please jack, you've never gotten along with one of my friends the way you got along with her. i mean, you cared so much about her burn she insisted was fine enough to take her to your bathroom alone for twenty minutes."
"anyone would do that, even mom would, luke." i told him as we walked into the kitchen and helped our mom clean up.

"ok, but then you walked her to her car and gave her a hug. and then longingly watched her car as she drove away like you'd never see her again."
"you were watching us?"
"well yeah, you're my brother and she's my best friend why wouldn't i?"
"jack you walked delilah to her car? that was sweet."
"i only did cause luke wouldnt and it was dark and late so she shouldn't be walking around outside alone."
"you like her." luke spoke again.

"bro, no i don't."
"yes you do. and it's ok cause she seems to like you too. she always said hockey players were hot, she probably thinks you're hot."
"no she doesn't, dude."
"yeah don't tell him that it'll get his hopes up." quinn said.

my brothers laughed and i rolled my eyes at their behavior. even if i did like her she's only eighteen. the internet would go wild if a twenty year old dated an eighteen year old.

i mean sure, delilah is a few months older than luke and she is a legal adult, but i've seen people go crazy over someone dating another person younger than them.

she is only two about three years younger, so really it's ok it's a normal range, but i don't know how she'd feel about it, let alone the millions of people that get jealous when i walk around a girl.

i said goodnight to my family and walked up to my room where i spotted a hair clip on the counter to my bathroom.

delilah probably forgot it. now i'll have an excuse to see her again.

i changed my clothes and laid down in my bed, going to sleep with only one girl on my mind.