haunted

"can't breath whenever you're gone"
——taylor swift

jacks pov:

today officially marks the seventh day delilah has been in a coma. the seventh day since she was hit by a drunk driver. the seventh day since i felt my world crashing down.

i watch shows and movies constantly of where their loved ones died or where they are waiting in anticipation to see if they're ok, but no matter how many you watch it can never prepare you for the real life situation. the one where someone you love is lying in a hospital bed on the verge of death.

delilah has been looking better, her bruises have mostly faded and her scratches are now scabs.

i haven't left her side unless i had to use the bathroom, or someone forced me to get something to eat. i've slept maybe a good twelve hours within this week.

i left delilah's room for a few minutes to give her mom some time alone with her because she hasn't really gotten any. from what i know her boyfriend, delilah's step father, has been a douche and wouldn't watch aurora so she could come visit her.

i decided while i had nothing to do i would walk to a coffee shop about a block away and get delilah's mom some coffee to be nice. she looks like she needs it.

so now i'm walking back to delilah's room where ana is standing in the hallway with a big smile on her face while nurses are rushing in and out of her room.

"w-what's happening?" i asked her handing her the coffee.

"she woke up, jack. she's ok."

my eyes widened and my heart stopped. she's awake. she's awake!

i smiled widely and gave ana a hug. she hugged me back while we both cried. there was a very overwhelming feeling in my body that just let the the tears flow.

"oh my god i have to call luke." i grabbed my phone from my pocket and called the groupchat with chloe, trevor, quinn, luke and now abby who took a flight over the next day once we informed her of what happened.

abby answered first, then trevor, then quinn who was with chloe and luke answered last.

"jack what's up?"
"guys you need to get here now."
"why what's happening?"
"she's up, she woke up."
"you're kidding."
"no, i'm not. get here now."
"we're on our way."

ana and i waited for everyone to to here in the waiting room and once they did we ran over to them.

"where is she?"
"still in her room. they said to wait a few minutes before we go see her they have to do some tests."
"oh my god i can't believe she's awake."

we anxiously sat in the waiting room before a doctor came to us.

"she is awake and doing well. she is a bit tired which is normal so we can let you all in but we suggest you're calm when you talk to her."

she led us to delilahs room and we all walked in, her mom was first.

"oh, my baby."
"hi mama." she smiled and hugged her mom.

she looked over at us in confusion until her eyes landed on luke.

"hi, lukey." he smiled and let a tear slip before giving her a hug.

she whispered in his ear and he let go before giving her a look of confusion.

"what do you mean?"
"i don't know them, luke."

he looked at her in horror before looking at us.

"delilah... what exactly do you remember?"
"i don't know... it's still june right?"
"no... delilah it's september..."
"oh no, did i miss your birthday?"
"yeah... but it's ok."
"do i know all of you?"
"you- you don't remember any of us?.."
"no... am i supposed to?"
"delilah, we spent the last two months all together. you went to luke's lake house with all of us. you really don't remember anything?"
"no... i-i'm sorry."

i felt as my shattered and dropped down to the floor. i couldn't take it anymore so i ran out of her room and over to a nurse.

"she can't remember me. she can't remember any of my friends except my brother and her mom. she thinks it's still june. what's wrong with her?"
"let me call a doctor."

everyone left her room except luke and her mom while a doctor came over to us.

"it's possible that with the head collision she had during the crash that she lost some of her memory, but it's not permanent. she can gain it back but there's nothing you can do until she does. you can maybe show her pictures, tell her minor memories but keep them minor, the major things we want her to remember on her own so she can piece the minor ones in by herself. certain things can trigger it; a picture or place. this kind of thing takes time so it won't be instant."
"thank you so much."
"of course, i'm terribly sorry."
"i'm going to the hotel." i mumbled and walked away.

delilah's pov:

"so you're saying i spent two months with them?"
"yeah.. we all were together. we maybe spent a couple days away from each other but you came with me to my lake house."
"can i see a picture?"

he took out his phone and showed me a picture of all of us together at a bar looking place.

"where was this?"
"at a karaoke bar. we made you sing and you decided to sing taylor swift. that was the first time we ever found out you could sing. then you released songs a couple weeks later."
"i did?"
"yeah."
"who's that?"

i asked pointing at a boy. he was brunette with gorgeous green eyes, he kind of looked like another person in the picture.

"that... that's my brother jack... you guys were really close for the little time you knew each other."
"he's cute." i giggled at his smile.

he had his arm wrapped around my shoulders while i looked like i was laughing at something.

"what're their names?"
"this is my other brother quinn, my mom ellen, my dad jim, jacks best friend trevor, our old and current hockey teammates nico, mikey, john, ty and alex. this is one of your best friends you met at our lake house, her name is abby. and then the other girl that was in here with us is chloe, that's quinn's girlfriend."
"i was friends with all of them?"
"yeah.. you were like a little sister to most of them."

my mom came back in my room with my brothers and my sister.

"deli!"
"hi, princess." i laughed and held aurora as she hopped onto my hospital bed.

"hey, baby sis." matt kissed my forehead and i smiled up at him.

"hi."
"delilah i'm so sorry for-"
"um, connor, she can't remember anything within the last three months.."
"oh. oh, ok. well, uh, it's good to have you back, d."
"it's good to be back, i guess."

but i can't remember anything...