Chapter 83

“Now my clone is following them, but there’s no way of knowing what’s gonna happen… We’re gonna get on their trail right away,” Captain Yamato said.

“But…,” Sakura and I tried to protest.

“Okay! Let’s go!,” Naruto said, stretching a bit, but he suddenly started falling forward.

I felt my heart stop for a moment. I quickly caught him right before he hit the ground and held him close. Moving too quickly made the wound on my back sting but I ignored the pain.

“Naruto-kun!,” I called out.

“Naruto!,” Sakura came over.

Naruto was breathing heavily. “Captain Yamato…,” Sakura called out.

“Sakura, Y/n, we better get going…,” Captain Yamato said.

“I know we should catch up right now. But… with Naruto’s condition being like this…,” Sakura said.

“In that case, we’ll leave him,” Captain Yamato replied.

“What? There’s no way I am leaving Naruto-kun like that! If you want to go then go alone! I am not going with you! Even Sakura doesn’t want to leave Naruto behind! We are a team and we are in this together! We don’t leave our members behind!,” I shouted, glaring at him with a murderous aura.

“Kakashi-sensei would never say that!,” Sakura said.

“Y/n, Sakura, don’t...,” Naruto held my fist that I had made to keep my anger in check.

“I’ll.. be.. alright… I can make it…,” Naruto got out between his heavily breathes. Naruto’s face twisted in pain and I used medical ninjutsu to try and ease his pain. Naruto sat up slowly and I stopped.

“Y/n, I know what you are trying to say. I’m working as a part of Team Kakashi, but I am not Kakashi. I’m sorry but I can’t say, ‘I won’t let you get hurt’ with a laugh. You’re no longer an apprentice ninja in need of protection, but Shinobi shouldering the future of the Leaf Village… who will have to eventually surpass Kakashi. Compassion and co-dependence aren’t the same thing!,” Captain Yamato said.

“Team work doesn’t mean if one is injured the other should also stop doing what they are supposed to,” Captain Yamato said.

“You can do what’s more important to you Captain Yamato. I’ll do what’s more important to me. And Naruto is more important to me, so I’ll stay with him,” I asserted.

“Sakura, we’ll leave Naruto under Y/n’s care and follow Orochimaru’s trail. They can return back to the village on their own,” Captain Yamato said.

“It’s fine… I can keep going,” Naruto said.

“I am injured too. I need some rest before we leave. If I get some rest then we’ll be able to go at full speed later. You even have to worry about Naruto then,” I responded.

“They might escape and the mission might end up in a failure. If we don’t go now, then we’re never going to catch up Orochimaru. There is no second chance with Orochimaru,” Captain Yamato replied.

‘Ugh… I guess I have to use my secret weapon now. I just hope it works on him… It works on most people’ I thought, preparing myself for the embarrassment that is going to follow.

“Can we rest for some time? Please,” I gave Captain Yamato my best puppy dog eyes and saw his eyebrows twitch.

“No. And that’s not gonna work on me,” Captain Yamato replied.

“Pretty please?,” I tried to appeal more by getting teary-eyed, my lips quivering.

“No..,” Captain Yamato replied, this time less assertive.

“But I am injured… and Naruto is too… Just a little rest? Only a small break?,” I pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

“Okay! Fine! You win! Now stop looking so pitiful,” Captain Yamato finally gave in.

“Yes!,” I cheered a little and smiled at the two who were looking at me with mixed emotions and weird expressions.

We ran a little further in the direction where Orochimaru’s group went and found a place to rest. I pulled Sakura away. “Hey, uh.. help me bandage the wound. It stings whenever it’s exposed to air,” I whispered, looking back.

“Okay. We healed it as much as we could, but I guess it will take time,” Sakura said and I nodded.

“Captain Yamato can you make a small house to rest? I need to bandage Y/n’s wounds and need some privacy,” Sakura explained. Captain Yamato nodded and built a small house using Wood Style.

Meanwhile, I approached Naruto. “Hey Naruto. I want to ask you something,” I said.

“What is it?,” Naruto asked.

“When you woke up… with your head on my lap… How did you recognise it was me and not Sakura?,” I asked.

“Because every time you are there for me when something happens,” Naruto gave a cute grin.

“I… am?,” I blinked at him.

“Yes. You are. When we were kids you would help me when others bullied me in academy. After the graduation exam when you tried to cheer me up. During the Land of Waves mission when you defended me. During the Chunin exams too. I had woken up for a few moments after fighting Orochimaru and saw and felt you were carrying me. You were there for me everytime. So I knew it would be you,” Naruto explained happily.

I felt tears forming in my eyes. I felt happy and relieved that Naruto knew. I felt happy that there were times when I could do something for Naruto in the past. That I wasn’t useless to him.

“Y/n, come here. Let’s go take care of your wound properly,” Sakura called from the door of the house.

“Coming,” I shouted.

“Y/n, how did you get hurt?,” Naruto asked. Captain Yamato was going to answer but I spoke up first.

“Remember we were speaking about how Sai didn’t help when Sakura and I were falling? When I slipped I got hurt and then fell from the bridge,” I replied.

“Oh. I hope it gets better soon!,” Naruto said.

“Now go away. I better not see you near the house,” I warned with hands on my hips. Naruto nodded, walking away.

I turned my attention to Captain Yamato. “Captain Yamato… Please don’t tell Naruto-kun the truth… I don’t want to be the reason he is sad…,” I requested in a slightly pleading voice.

“Y/n, we can’t do that. Every time Naruto transforms he is burnt. If he does this whenever he gets angry, then it might shorten his life,” Captain Yamato replied.

I was shocked, my stomach churning. “Do you want Naruto to get hurt every time he transforms?,” Yamato asked.

“No, I- Okay… I don’t want him to hurt every time he transforms…,” I replied looking down at the ground, with clenched fists.

Captain Yamato patted my shoulder. “It will be okay. If you like him then you should know that it’s better to tell him,” Yamato said.

“Wait. How did you?,” I looked at him startled.

“You’re being obvious right now,” Yamato chuckled.

“Not like I am hiding or anything… I’ll go get treat first. You can… tell Naruto-kun until then,” I said, walking away and into the house with Sakura.

I removed my dress and sat on a chair that Captain Yamato had made and let Sakura reapply salve and bandage the wound. I always kept spare clothes in scrolls so I removed one and wore it.

My hair had burnt off so I need to adjust my hairstyle, so after changing I asked Sakura to help me cut them properly. “I’m sorry that you got hurt because of me. I.. don’t want you to get hurt on my behalf,” Sakura said suddenly while cutting my hair.

I blinked, surprised. “Uh… It’s okay. I chose this myself. You can thank me instead of apologising and blaming yourself. I am the best, after all,” I replied laughing awkwardly, not sure how to respond.

“Thank you… for saving me,” Sakura said. I was shocked that she was actually being nice to me.

“You’re… welcome?,” I replied, still processing and Sakura started laughing. Soon I started laughing as well. When we were done, we went back out and called out, getting their attention.

Meanwhile…
Captain Yamato talked to Naruto and told him the truth and about how worried Y/n was. Naruto felt guilty about it and took some time to think about everything.

When Sakura and Y/n called them, Naruto approached the them. “Sakura, Y/n I’m sorry. Y/n, I’m sorry for doing that to you,” Naruto said looking guilty.

“It’s okay! You don’t need to apologise! The one who should apologise is her for being reckless,” I turned to Sakura and winked.

“I’m… really sorry. I wasn’t thinking,” Sakura apologized understanding.

“Y/n, I won’t use the nine-tails power anymore. I’ll become stronger and protect you without it,” Naruto said.

I blushed as my heart skipped a beat and I started giggling. “H-Hey! Why are you laughing? I’m serious!,” Naruto said not knowing what’s so funny.

“I’m laughing because I am happy,” I replied giving him a big smile. Naruto looked confused, but blushed looking at me, probably embarassed.

’I am so happy that he said that! Oh, what am I gonna do! He just keeps making he fall in love with him more and more!’ I thought, my heart filling with love and happiness.

------------------------------------

Hey guys 👋 Are you doing well? What do you think about this chapter? Did you like it? Thanks for reading! See ya next week! Take care of yourself 😘 Love you all my babies 💕 Hugs for you ʕ⁠っ⁠•⁠ᴥ⁠•⁠ʔ⁠っ Have a great day 😊