Begin Again

It was warm and dry where she was, and for a long moment, before her brain became fully aware of her surroundings, Nuri thought she was back in the dwelling of her father. Firelight flickered on the walls and she felt safe for the first time in ages. Why had it been so long? Like the fog clearing away from the mountain ridges, her memories came into focus, her marriage to Topan, the birth of a stillborn son...Jack. With a sudden gasp, she bolted upright, her head spinning from the motion. Strong but gentle hands pushed her back down despite her vague protests.

"Not so fast." His voice was deep, like the rumble within the Striped One. "Soon Nuri, soon."

Too weak to fight back, she didn't resist. Once her head stopped whirling Nuri tried opening her eyes again, looking around. He was to her left, strong and sure, kneeling with his back to her, adding more fuel to the fire.

For the first time, she noticed how large he was, tall like her people, but broad and powerful. His back rippled with honed muscle and she could see the flex and pull of them under his skin as he shifted. Nowhere was he thin, even his hips and thighs muscular and strong. The men of her race were tall and lithe, deceptively strong but without the depth and width of the man before her. She wondered if all men of Jack's race were built so. His hair was longer now, hanging past his shoulders, and she briefly wondered if he had always worn it long. Feeling she should not linger looking at his bare skin, Nuri shifted her eyes to her surroundings, wondering just where they were.

It looked like a lodge made of fronds and branches, but it was quiet and still outside. The interior was not large, maybe ten feet in diameter with a small opening at the very top to allow smoke to escape. Turning her head she saw the edge of a large boulder making up most of one wall. Sudden understanding dawned on her, and she smiled, her eyes moist. She was where she fell, and Jack had built this structure around her so he would not have to lift her into his arms. It was the first gesture he had made to do things her way. As though sensing she was more awake he turned to look at her.

"I hope you're wanting to eat something. Suppers about ready."

His words were lost on her. Utter shock consumed every sense, eyes bulging with disbelief and a kind of panic that slammed her heart against her ribs. What happened to his face? Nuri shrank away slightly as he approached, concern etched on his features.

"What's the matter? Are you all right?" Stopping about four feet away, Lantern knelt, making no effort to come closer.

"What happened to your face?" Her voice was tight. "The hair is gone!"

He did not have to understand her words to know what she meant. He had grown weary of his beard and carefully shaved it off with his long blade several days ago. Since then, he'd shaved every morning. His lips twitched in a smile.

"It's okay, Nuri, I know it looks a little different. I shaved off the hair. It's okay."

He rubbed a hand reassuringly across his jaw as he spoke. Jack's words made no sense to her, but his calmness told her that the change in his appearance was deliberate. His deeply tanned skin was at odds with the flesh that had been hidden by hair. It would take a little time to even out in the sunlight.

"You did that on purpose?" Her wide amber eyes were still fixed on his face. "Is that what you really look like?"

"I have no idea what you just said, but I want to learn Nuri. You'll need to teach me if you'll forgive me for being so bull-headed."

She was still trying not to stare at his face, more disturbed now by his striking good looks than the lack of hair.

"Nuri, teach Jack to speak Nuri? Please?" He was hoping she would understand what he wanted and be open to it. There was much to make up for and he was not one to put anything off.