First Blood

Nuri was still sleeping so deeply, he had not the heart to wake her when morning came. His dreams had remained restless and troubled so when the sun broke up the night sky Lantern rose and pulled on his worn moccasins. Looking down at her, not wanting to leave her unprotected, he thought he heard voices. Grabbing his spear and knife, he slid to the entrance and warily peered outside. No one was in sight so the voices must be drifting up from the river at the base of the mountain.

Heart slowing to a steady rhythm, taking deep breaths, he told himself this was it. With one last look at Nuri, he quietly left the lodge and crept down the mountain. It would be her people he faced, and he had no idea what he was truly up against but to sit and wait was worse than foolish. Staying in the shadows of the large boulders, taking advantage of every bit of cover, Lantern was careful to make no noise. Sound carried extremely well among the rocks.

He'd almost made it to the base of the slope when he saw them. The two Hunters sat by a small fire finishing their morning meal. Neither wore the simian type masks he'd seen before. Appearing to be by themselves, at first Lantern was not sure they were aware of his and Nuri's presence here. He felt a small thread of hope they were merely passing through. Any doubts, however, fled when the men got up, going directly to the stone shelter he and Nuri had hidden in during the thunderstorm. Fierce blue eyes watched as they scouted around the area, talking softly to each other.

His grip on his weapons tightened as Lantern studied the Hunters. They each carried a long saber-like blade, and a curved dagger strapped to the hip. Formidable weapons and he was sure they had experience in using them. His spear would not stand up to the hardened metal of their sabers, and with his long knife, there was no way he could allow them to get close enough to strike. Time was rapidly running out because they were looking up the mountain, and Nuri lay unprotected less than a mile away.

~

When Nuri woke, it was warm inside the lodge and the fire was burning brightly. Sitting up slowly she reached for the water pouch by her bed still feeling weak, but the restlessness of fever no longer had hold of her. Taking a swallow of water, she tipped a palmful into her hand, rubbing it over her face, refreshed. Getting to her knees, she finally noticed Jack was nowhere to be seen and her brow furrowed a little. Turning, she glanced at the leftover wild boar that was stored in the basket she had woven for the fish.

There was plenty, but his weapons were missing too. Worried now, Nuri struggled to her feet, unsteadily walking to the entrance to look outside. The sun was shining and no one was in sight, but a sense of foreboding filled her, an intuition that something was not right. Where was Jack? Why would he leave without telling her? Starting to take a step outside, Nuri hesitated. He had left deliberately without waking her, so he must have had good reason.

Jumping instantly to her darkest fear, Nuri hurriedly retreated to the center of the hut, mind racing. What if they had been found? Was Jack now fighting for his life against the warriors of her people, defending a woman that he barely knew?

If the hunters from the village were aware of their location, she and Jack were in very grave danger. They would be armed with Keris daggers and Mandau blades, ancient and dangerous weapons that could dismember a victim in minutes. Training in the use of such weapons was intensive, and each man given one had proved himself in battle. Shivering with a sudden chill Nuri squeezed her eyes closed, whispering a silent prayer for Jack. If he could not escape, let death be mercifully quick.

~

Foot slipping on mud, Lantern spilled backwards, hitting the slope sliding. It saved his life. Striking with lightning speed, Hunter's sharp blade sliced thin air where Lantern's throat had just been. Muddy, he came to a stop, getting up just in time to brace against a downhill lunge that brought all his opponent's weight into the attack. Blocking the savage blow of the blade with his spear shaft, Jack felt his feet sliding on the slippery ground, the wood beginning to splinter.