Disaster Strikes

"Not that I'm complaining, but how long are we tied together?" Lantern held up their hands, a smile tugging at his mouth. Nuri's gaze lazily followed the movement.

"We must be joined for seven days, becoming accustomed to working together in all things. Then we may have the bond removed."

"Uh-huh. So, just you and me for another couple of days...how do you think Jati is getting along?" He was not really concerned about the young man, focused instead on the small vein pulsing in Nuri's wrist.

"He's healing well, and there was plenty of food when I left," her breath hitched a little at the sensation. "I imagine he's wondering what happened to us."

"What are we going to tell him anyway?" Nuri smiled as he kissed the inside of her free palm.

"We won't have to tell him anything. Guess who gets to remove the bond?" Lantern stopped in mid-nibble, looking quizzically at her. "It is considered bad luck for one of us to untie the cord, so Jati is the only alternative."

Sinking deeper into his eyes, Nuri let him pull her close, one arm circling her waist, taking her arm with it. His other hand buried itself into her wealth of raven black hair. His forehead pressed lightly to hers, their gazes locked. Lips sweeping lightly across hers, Nuri felt Jack smile.

"We can't invite any bad luck now can we?"

The week passed far too quickly for Lantern, and the morning came when they headed back to the cave, returning to the reality of life. Nuri walked beside him and felt the shifting in Jack's posture, the subtle changes in his attitude as they neared home. A wall formed between them, separating her from his emotions. At first, she was hurt, but the more she thought about it, the more she realized Jack had always been that way. Never had he displayed deep emotions in front of others, especially in front of Jati.

This last week together had spoiled her, and Nuri felt a small tinge of sadness. Somehow she had hoped it would stay the same, but Jack had not changed, and it would be unfair to ask him to now. Instead, she held onto his hand as they walked, soaking in the feeling of his grip tightening over her fingers.

Reaching the base of the path up to the cave, Lantern stopped and turned to her, reaching to take his wife's face in his hand. Kissing her tenderly, he rested his forehead against hers without letting go.

"I love you. I want you to know that."

It broke her in the best way possible, for the shattered pieces let in the brilliance of his light. Of course, he would know what she was thinking and feeling. Her husband knew her almost better than she knew herself. Nuri's free hand touched his jaw.

"I know, Jack."

A hurricane of emotions whirled in his eyes, but when he turned away Jack had buried them all deep inside. Calling out as they reached the entrance, Jati's answer was flooded with relief as he hurried to greet them. The young man stopped short at seeing the red band wrapped around their hands. Looking from one to the other, his expression widened in surprise and delight, but he waited for them to speak first. Lantern broke the silence.

"Are we still welcome here, Jati?" It was a gentle suggestion and the youth flushed guiltily.

"Yes! Come, come, please! Welcome home! I had begun to worry..." stammering a bit in his happiness, he waved them both forward. There was an awkwardness to his movements, uncertainty about his place in their lives.

"It is good to be home again," Nuri spoke softly but held up their hands. "We need you to remove the binding for us."

"Me?" A flash of pride crossed his face as he moved to perform the time-honored tradition. Solemnly untying the cord he shakily unwound it from their wrists, folding it neatly in trembling hands. "I keep this token as a pledge of the vows you have made. It will symbolize the bond between you until death cuts the cord."