The Hunt

Subtle changes in the weather descended upon the island. Despite full sunlight and clear days, the air was not as warm as in former weeks, and the slight breeze caused a shiver to travel up Lantern's back. The rainy season would soon be upon them and they must have warmer clothes. He had no intention of being trapped in the cave like last year just to stay warm. Straightening up he strapped the long blade and Keris dagger to his waist and lifted the ivory spear. He would need to bring down something large to provide enough for all of them.

Nuri was weaving new fishing nets at the cave entry, Jati sitting by watching intently. They looked up when his shadow fell over them. Lantern ignored the boy, his dark blue eyes on Nuri.

"I'll be gone for several hours. The hunting will be good in the mountains, and I'll bring back enough hide for warmer clothing."

Standing, she brushed wisps of black hair from her eyes, her expression soft, loving. For a moment they just gazed at each other, and then she smiled.

"Be safe."

He grinned at her, cockily arching an eyebrow.

"Aren't I always? Keep the fire burning woman." With a wink, he headed off.

A faint sigh brought her attention to Jati, whose eyes longingly followed Jack's progress up the slope to the entrance to the valley. He looked eager, and envious, desperately wanting to join the older man each time he went hunting. Yet, he knew the warrior had no interest in him, and dared not cross him.

"Go." Her voice startled him and he looked at Nuri uncertainly. "Go, Jati. Go with him."

With the beginning of a smile, the young man jumped to his feet and hurried after Jack. By the time he reached the high ledge entrance Lantern knew he was being followed and slight irritation flooded him. He did not need the boy tagging along, and there was no way he trusted him with a weapon. Pausing, he almost turned to send the boy back, then stopped. Undoubtedly Nuri had sent Jati after him, and she would not appreciate Lantern's rejection of the youth's presence.

So, choosing to continue ignoring him, Lantern resumed his progress along the base of the mountain, heading for a long narrow gorge that opened up into a small meadow some two miles distant. With plentiful prey there, he hoped to find something large enough to satisfy their needs with one kill.

Having come almost as far as the edge of the gorge, he finally glanced back to see if Jati was still there, noting with grudging respect that the young man had made no sound the entire trip, and kept up with him easily. At the lip of the gorge, but still within the protective cover of brush Lantern dropped to his knees and scanned the area, looking for possible prey and danger. Other hunters prowled the area and he did not intend to become prey. Satisfied, he started down the slope, hearing Jati fall in behind him. It was slow, careful work, easing each foot into position before moving on. One wrong step could end with a broken leg or worse.

At the bottom, Lantern stealthily headed toward the water, a large marshy pool that spilled out into the meadow. He had seen nothing yet but was confident the water would draw more animals. Just stepping into dense brush, a sudden crackling in the leaves off to one side froze him as a babirusa with long curling tusks emerged from the jungle to forage among the tender roots and grasses. It was a massive animal, weighing well over three hundred pounds, powerful and lightning-fast.

Lantern stayed still, breathing lightly through his mouth. Though very tasty, those boars were not easy to kill, their tusks razor-sharp, backed by powerful legs and a nasty temper. Stealing a glance over at Jati, to his surprise he saw the young man frozen in fear. He was still in the open when the beast appeared, not having had time to reach cover. Eyes brimming with near panic, Lantern realized the boy knew what kind of danger he was in, and desperately wanted to retreat.