Danger in the Valley

Brilliant sunlight woke Nuri. It had been weeks since she had seen anything but heavy, rain-laden clouds so the blue sky filled her with joy. Getting up quietly she tiptoed past where Jack lay sleeping and left the small cave. It was secluded enough in the valley that her companion felt confident to let her wander wherever she wanted, and Nuri was grateful for that. As much as she enjoyed his company, she eagerly looked forward to being alone occasionally.

Warm golden rays flooded the valley, the numerous varieties of jungle birds singing joyously as she strolled down to the river. Kneeling, Nuri cupped water in her hands and brought it to her lips, enjoying the sweet taste. Laughter was bubbling just beneath the surface though she struggled to contain it, not wanting to break the melody of life around her. How long had it been since she had felt this free? This happy?

Loud cries came from the canopy, and looking up Nuri saw long-tailed macaques active, playing and teasing one another as they leaped through the tree branches. They were inquisitive creatures, often following her and Jack around as they explored their new home. In mid-leap, one of them noticed Nuri watching, lost its footing among the high trees and fell chattering to catch itself in the lower branches. Its companions seemed to taunt it but those large brown eyes fixed on Nuri, curiously edging to the ground and toward her.

She knelt on the sand very slowly, remaining quiet, wanting the monkey to come closer. Jack never hunted in the valley, enjoying the fact the animals had no fear of them though several months had passed since they arrived.

Closer the young simian came, creeping slowly but steadily toward her. At last, it was within arm's reach of Nuri, studying her intently. A smile came to her lips as the young animal edged a little nearer. Finally, it stood before her, peering into her face with a little front hand on her knee. Chattering softly it climbed onto her leg, reaching out to touch her face.

Nuri sat frozen, her only movement the light flex of her ribs as she breathed. At last, the little one jumped up onto her shoulders and rifled through her hair, chirping loudly. No longer able to hold it in Nuri laughed aloud as little fingers tickled along her scalp. Frightened the monkey jumped and ran off before turning to look at her indignantly.

"I am sorry," Nuri called after him. "I could not stop myself!"

At her voice, the macaque took off and ran back to the trees chattering loudly. Laughing aloud as she shook her head, Nuri got to her feet, ambling along the stream looking for something new to eat for breakfast. Lately, it had been smoked fish and fresh fruit, which was fine, but she hoped for a different taste this morning. Jack would be up soon if he was not already, and they always ate together.

Running her fingers through large ferns, Nuri felt a bubble of happiness fill her, contentment she had forgotten how to feel. Spotting a bush of dark-looking, juicy berries, she smiled. Perfect! Sweet, and tart, Nuri had enjoyed them before but didn't think Jack had tried them. Her arms were full as she headed back, her gaze wandering along the jungle floor when she suddenly stopped, the fruit dropping to her feet. Icy blood pulsed heavily in her veins, causing her temples to throb. Abruptly, the jungle no longer felt safe and welcoming. Nuri took off for the cave at a sprint, calling out for Jack.

He appeared at the mouth of the cave spear in hand, brow furrowed but when he understood her words, he ran to meet her.

"What's the matter? Who did you see?" He had never seen her in such abject terror, amber eyes wide, features pale. Her fingers gripped his wrist tightly for a brief moment, trembling.

"The Striped One! He is here Jack! What are we going to do?"

"The tiger- you saw it? Did it attack you?"