Topan

Obsidian eyes followed every moment from when Nuri left the cave to when she called across the valley at the top of the falls. When her voice echoed through the trees, calling for the Infidel, they narrowed into slits of fury. Sinewy muscles flexed and tightened as the Hunter gritted teeth in stony silence. With patience inborn of experience, he settled down to wait for her to come down off the ledge. Thinking of herself as abandoned would make her weak and off-guard. An easy target. Smiling into the approaching darkness, he anticipated his revenge.

The bright morning sun found Nuri still on the ledge where she had slept the warmth on her face welcome after the slight chill of the night. Sitting up slowly to look around the valley, suddenly remembering her new situation made her heart feel like stone. Refusing to give in to the tears that pushed at her eyes Nuri stood, gripping the Mandau blade tightly in her hand. Whatever had come into the valley yesterday was hers to deal with. Jack was not here to help her.

The stillness was unnerving as she made it down to the valley floor, hunger gnawing at her belly. Having eaten nothing the day before she was feeling the effects of it now. Choosing a route that led straight across to the cave Nuri hurried as quickly as she could while still maintaining silence. The small jungle creatures were still quiet, refusing to give voice in the presence of an intruder and Nuri felt the aura of danger in the air all around her. Something was here, and fear of what, or whom had begun to eat away at her courage.

Every sense heightened, nerves tingling, she was aware of each subtle scent, the smallest shift in the air against her skin. An assault on her senses, Nuri's overwrought nerves began to fray as she neared the trail leading up to the cave. A subtle sound, the barest hint of movement caused her to turn, screaming in fright as a figure leaped from the brush almost on top of her. The ghoulish painted mask with long fringes of black hair made her heart lurch into her throat as she stumbled back.

"Betrayer! Adulteress! I should kill you now!"

It took a moment for the familiar voice to register in her mind.

"Topan?" Shrinking away as he approached, Nuri cowered before the ghoulish mask that concealed everything but his piercing black eyes. "No!"

"Why do you cringe from me, woman? Are you not bound to me, promised to be my wife until death parts us?" His words should have been comforting. Instead, they filled her with dread. The Mandau blade was all at once very heavy in her hand.

"What do you want, Topan?"

"Want? I want what any husband wants! My wife!" His voice had raised to a shout as he advanced on her. Nuri backed away, feeling her courage wilt in the face of such anger.

"You ran from me when you should have returned! I would have shown mercy, but now, you shame me by giving yourself to an infidel! You dishonor me and bring disgrace upon yourself! I should kill you now and have you thank me for my kindness, but you know the law, and I will see you punished!"

"No! I did not shame you! I have brought no disgrace upon myself or my family!" desperation snaked through her, Nuri's voice pleading as she continued. "I ran from you Topan, but not because of this man, because of myself. I do not love you-!"

"Silence! I do not ask for your love! All I require is your obedience!" Closing the distance between them, he towered over her like a tiger over a rabbit. Slapping the blade from her hand he gripped her chin roughly, tilting her head up to him. "I will give you one chance to reclaim your honor. Give me a son, and I will receive you back into my house. Reject me, and you will suffer greatly!"

Looking into those bottomless eyes her heart turned to ash. Jack was gone, perhaps thinking her of little value, taking with him her chance of escape and happiness. Tears slipping from her eyes, her nod was resigned.