Turning Tides

Waking with a pounding headache, Lantern's vision swam in and out of focus. He'd dreamed Nuri had screamed for him, but...had she? It was hard to think with the throbbing in his temples. Blinking, grimacing at the strangely distorted image of the world, it took his brain a moment to realize he was hanging upside down. A short distance away was a small fire where two Hunters sat eating from a blackened pot. Large masks were lying close by them, even more ghoulish in the lengthening shadows of approaching twilight.

Dimly he remembered bathing at the pool and trying on his new leggings. Distracted, pleased with how well they fit, when a snapping twig underfoot made him turn around, something struck him a wicked blow and that was it. He could faintly recall seeing an impression of a mask and had to assume that one of these men had ambushed him. As blurred as his mind was, Jack felt a quick shaft of fear. Where was Nuri? Alarm tore through his haze. Her scream had not been a dream, not if this was real. Where was she?

Working each muscle in turn assured him that nothing was broken. Suspended above the ground, hands tied behind him, it would be a great trick to get free. Looking cautiously over at the Hunters who paid him no attention, he tried to think of a way out of this. When they began speaking Lantern was suddenly grateful that Nuri had taught him her language. The man on the right spoke first.

"Topan should be back soon. His woman was left unguarded when he caught the infidel yesterday." He nodded in Lantern's direction.

"Do you think he will punish her? He had to come all this way just to find her, and the people are saying she is cursed." This was from the Hunter on the left, the younger of the two.

"He would be a fool to kill her, but no one would blame him if he did. She disgraced us all, and Topan is not a man to bear any humiliation. He will return soon, and then we will know." The Hunter on the right sounded confident and relaxed.

"I hope he brings her back to the village for trial. I don't want to be around when her father finds out his daughter was executed for disregarding tribal law." The younger hunter spoke softly.

"You worry too much young Jati. The Great Chieftain has to support the law, even with his own blood. He risks tribal war if he breaks tradition because of a rebellious daughter."

"I wish I had your faith, Kuwat. Nuri has always been a little different, and her father favors her." Jati shook his head, his expression worried. "Topan better bring her back alive, for all our sakes."

"Enough worrying! Topan is the head of our village, and his decisions are final. All we have to do is watch the infidel, making sure he does not escape before Topan and his woman come back. Then we rejoin Arif and Wani and be on our way home." The words of the one called Kuwat seemed to do little to ease Jati and he got up and paced away from the fire.

Lantern understood that his life, and Nuri's, were in very great danger. Her husband had come to fetch her, and he had not come alone. If Topan had not found her already, it would not be long before he did, which left Jack no time at all. Twisting slightly, pulling with his core, Jack tried to slide his hands up his back to his feet as he arched up. If he could just reach the knot tying his feet together, he stood a chance of getting out of here alive! He had to get to Nuri before Topan did.

After a couple of attempts, Lantern realized he would have to get loose in one effort, or the two Hunters would catch him at it. He was taking a break when they glanced up and the one called Jati came over, examining the cord binding his hands. He was barely more than a boy, his face smooth and soft, not yet hardened by the realities of life on the island. His check was brief and somewhat careless; he looked Lantern in the eyes and frowned slightly but did not abuse him, then quickly returned to the fire.