Unwelcome Visitor

Rain fell in unrelenting sheets outside as Lantern added more wood to the blaze. Nuri sat peacefully shredding the monitor lizard meat into a black pot taken from the Hunter’s camp, adding water, roots, garlic, and oniony leeks. She was humming quietly. Jack glanced at her, a smile playing across his lips.

“Smells good.”

“It is the way my mother used to make it. I could not do it before because the baskets would have caught fire.” She looked over at him, a smile brightening her face. “You’ll like it, Jack.”

He was about to respond when a soft shout brought them to their feet. Going to the entrance, Lantern looked out through the blanket of rain and saw a figure waiting at the base of the path leading to the cave, soaked and cold. His expression hardened. There had been no interaction with the young man since the burial of his companions, exactly the way Jack wanted it.

“Is that Jati?” Nuri moved to his side, looking where he pointed. There was a maternal tinge of concern in her voice. “What is he doing?”

“Trying his luck. I let him live so I wouldn’t have to kill him, but I’ll be happy to oblige him if that’s what he wants.” Steely, his tone added weight to his words. Nuri knew Jack well enough to believe him.

“Perhaps he needs help...” she let her voice fade when Lantern faced her.

“If he wants help, he can go home! He was with them Nuri, part of the group who tried to kill us!” His words were clipped though he was not angry with her. She crossed her arms.

“Yet you let him live! Does that not make you responsible for his life?”

Frustration etched on his handsome features Lantern knew she was right. He did not kill the boy then; certainly, he had no right to do so now. But to accept his presence was intolerable!

“I do not want him here Nuri. I don’t care where he goes, or who he tells, I want him gone!”

“There is nowhere he can go tonight, not in this weather. Can I take a bowl of soup out to him?” Her instinct was to nurture, and despite himself, Lantern shook his head with a soft snort.

“No sense him trying to eat it in this rain.” At her hopeful look, he sighed and rolled his eyes. “I’ll go get him.” It was said in a rough growl as he stalked out into the pelting rain.

Nuri watched affectionately, feeling a soft swell of pity for Jati at the bigger man's approach. When unhappy, Jack could strike fear into the most courageous of warriors.

Watching as the Infidel came near, Jati's eyes widened in fear. When the man escaped them, he had fought like a wild animal. Never had Jati been so terrified in the face of danger. Upon waking alive, something shifted inside him, new respect and awe for a warrior who had shown a moment of mercy. Kuwat had not been so fortunate and Jati had stayed in the camp for hours, unsure what to do, having no weapon, and no one to guide him, for he guessed Topan had met his match in the fierce warrior. It would not be until later that he found out the truth.

When Nuri and the strange warrior found him still sitting by the body of his tribesman, she had urged Jack to let him remain while they buried the bodies. The warrior had agreed but when Nuri walked away those stormy blue eyes fixed Jati to the ground as he leaned in close.

You move from this spot, or threaten her in any way I will rip you apart.” His voice rumbled like The Striped One’s growl and Jati had nodded, his mind reeling in fear as the infidel spoke in his tongue.

What should I do?” He’d tried to keep his voice steady as he spoke. There was no compassion in those fierce blue eyes.

“There are only two rules that will keep you alive here. Do not threaten us, and do not hunt in the valley. I do not care what you choose, or where you go, Boy. Do not break those rules.”