Frogs Dance

The morning they crested the last ridge was overcast and cold, gusting winds fierce. Navigating the slopes was tricky, the footing uneven, slowing their pace even more. Many days had passed since they'd left the cave on the beach, that hidden alcove a distant memory. Nuri seemed to be recovering her strength, and Lantern's wounds had scabbed over nicely. If only the weather would cooperate, they might have felt things were improving.

She had taken great pains to teach Jack the basics of her language, finding him a willing and capable student. Why that surprised her, Nuri wasn't sure. Picking up her words and phrases was easy for him but putting them in order on his own proved much more difficult. It was also a challenge for him to learn the correct pronunciation. Without flattening his tone or rolling some of the sounds completely changed the meaning of his words.

Jack called out to her now as he looked for a place to rest for a moment.

"Nuri, when do we smell like pigs?"

"What?" Learning to not react to his first statement was challenging, because he usually got it very wrong, although her lips twitched in a smile.

"Oh, that isn't it," his brow furrowed a little as he thought it over. "Doiw bo pucha go jag?" When Nuri laughed aloud this time he looked at her quizzically, not understanding the humor.

"If you want to stop, we can," she answered slowly so he could hear the sounds. "Da jag."

"Fine." Lantern shook his head in irritation, unsure if he would ever get it right. Never in his life had he swallowed sounds as they left his mouth! More often than not he was insulting her and her family or making a fool of himself. Realizing this she was patient and forgiving, kindly tolerating his mistakes instead of being offended.

"I'm sorry Nuri...this is harder than I thought," his grin was tight. "You made it look easy."

Her expression stayed placid, but a strange look flitted through her eyes as if she had a hard time accepting he'd complimented her.

"You learn, Jack. Talk good."

"I doubt it. English and French seem to be my limit unless I want to constantly insult you, and your tolerance won't hold forever."

"Jack, not be angry," she coaxed. "It okay. Nuri understands you."

"You tell frogs to dance."

She burst out laughing, unable to contain herself this time. When Jack re-thought his words, a hue of red touched his face. 'Oh for crying out loud!' he thought irritably. 'Whoever heard of dancing frogs!' Nuri was still giggling but managed to control it, seeing his frustration.

"Jack, you know I don't like frogs. Try again, please?" Her smile and sincerity encouraged him.

"Why you...put up with me?" His accent was a little better this time, his brows knit in concentration.

"You are my friend, Jack."

Giggling, she turned away, avoiding his eyes. Finding a place that was to the lee of the wind, they gratefully dropped their packs to the ground ready to stop for a while. Digging into her supples, Nuri took more leaves from the plants she had found, crushing them for the thick oil to spread along Lantern's ribs. Applying a new layer several times a day sped up the healing process, the wounds sealing with a healthy pink around the scabs.

"It will be a scar soon." She informed him, smoothly evading his gaze.

"Yes. Thank you, Nuri."

Gently fingered the bandage, Lantern winced silently as a slice of pain danced across his side. Lifting his fingers to his temple, he felt the thin scab running from brow to ear lobe. Permanent scars indeed, if he kept this up he would have a complete set. Not that he minded the marks, only the reason behind acquiring them. What could she have done that would make the Hunters so eager to get their hands on her? Only time would give him the answer to that, so he sighed, resigned to be patient.