Book 3: A Kingdom of Roses and Magic - Chapter 122

Now then, I should be making some kills too.

The zombies were coming closer to where I was, and I noticed their movements were smooth and fluid, like any living beings. Not like an automation at all. Their design must be top-notch, and I had no doubt Lord Noah had a hand in it.

I took a deep breath and tightened my grip around the hilt of my sword. Then I did a few swings to loosen my joints and ease the tension in my body.

Before me were about twenty zombies, and because they were so big and just very zombie-looking, especially in that ancient-style armor, I felt a little freaked out. But I got ahold of myself fast. After all, this was the perfect opportunity to practice what Felix, Caleb, and Aaron had taught me.

I didn't beat about the bush and went for the qi blade.

I exuded my pure qi, feeling it—the warmth and the power—running throughout my body and along my arms. It exited my hands and charged the saber. In an instant, my blade was inflamed with white qi, bursting with energy.

I shifted my gaze as I swung my blade at the same time, directing them toward the zombies. A qi blade formed, and at lightning speed, the energy beam sped toward the zombies and, within the blink of an eye, hit them smack in their chests, throwing them back as it sliced their bodies in half.

In that one swift move, five zombies were done for. Instantly, my name appeared on the screen in the air at the bottom with five kills. Above mine, Michael was still at the top with fifty kills, followed by Travis with forty, Allan with thirty-five, Peter thirty, Leona twenty-five, and Aria fifteen. Brenna had yet to make a kill.

"Well done, Alfie." Aaron's voice came through via telepathy.

I chuckled. "Thanks."

But I had no time to chill and bask in the delight that I had just killed five zombies with one qi blade, because another horde of zombies was heading my way.

I used Silent Move, which Caleb had taught me, and erased myself from my position. In my stealth mode, I swiftly raced in midair, and in a split second, I reappeared on the other side behind them. The zombies kept running toward where I had been previously. I guess they were still an automation after all, since they had not realized I had shifted from my position.

I took the opportunity and used my qi blade again, directing it toward their backs. In one move, my charging qi blade sliced through their bodies cleanly. This one even went farther and sliced through some trees in the process, causing them to tumble and fall onto the ground, the noise echoing loudly across the woods.

Oops! Too strong.

Aaron said, "Alfie, remember to control your qi."

"Sorry," I said. I didn't add the fact that I was too excited. My adrenaline was rushing, after all.

Felix said, "One of the best ways to control your qi output is to stay calm, Alfie."

"You're too excited," Lord Victor said in amusement. "I can sense your qi overflowing and charging like a raging inferno, Alfie."

Geoffrey said, "Take a deep breath and calm yourself down."

"Aye-aye, my lords," I said, which received chuckles of amusement from them.

I followed their advice and took a slow, deep breath, and a moment later, I calmed down. Then I turned my attention to the zombies, which I could sense were coming my way.

I used Silent Move again and raced toward them. Up close and with about ten zombies surrounding me, their bulky bodies twice that of mine, I used the Blade Dance Aaron had taught me. Swiftly and lightly, I swung my blade in the air like I was a contemporary dancer, my body almost weightless as I shifted from one position to another, half jumping and gliding in thin air as my blade sliced zombies' bodies, decapitating them.

"That move is beautiful, Alfie," Lord Ethan said, chuckling. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Breathless, I replied, "Yes. Thank you, my lord."

I continued to move, and once I'd managed to slay those ten zombies, I stopped and brought my blade to a halt. Good Lord, but I could still feel the blade vibrating in my hand from the swift movements.

"Ahh!"

My attention was caught. It was Brenna's voice. I swiftly used Silent Move and raced toward where the scream had come from. In two seconds, I reappeared and found Brenna surrounded by about fifty zombies.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath.

I sprinted forward, my feet fast and light as if running on air and my saber out and ready for attacks. I swung, my blade slicing through about five zombies in one go. I came to a stop beside Brenna and asked, "You okay?"

Brenna nodded, though I noticed she was shaking from head to toe.

"Take a deep breath," I said. "It's all right. The lords won't let anything happen to you."

Brenna nodded. "I know, but..."

Caleb's voice came through. "Brenna? You okay? If it's too much, terminate the trial."

Brenna shook her head. "No. I'm good, my lord. I can do this."

I smiled. Brenna was fighting her fear, I realized. She was determined to be brave and become stronger. I guess what had happened during the Bandit Suppression Campaign must have made her realize just how vulnerable she was.

She said, "Dark beasts and those that hunger for your power will be coming for you, Alfie, and I can't be the weak link." She grinned at me, though she was still shaking. "I can't afford to be selfish and let others take care of me like last time the crisis hit."

I nodded. "Me too. I'm the one those bastards want, and I need to be able to take care of myself when shit hits the fan. I'll protect your back, and you protect mine."

Brenna nodded.

I said, "You use your energy beam, and I'll use my qi blade."

Again, Brenna nodded.

The zombies raced toward us, their weapons out and ready.

I said, "Go!"

Brenna chanted a spell. Then she shouted, "Fireball!" Green qi gathered at the tip of her quarterstaff, an orb of light growing and glowing. Meanwhile, I gathered my qi to the blade, the power hot and bursting with energy.

I swung sideways and the qi—in the shape of my blade—flew across the space and sliced the incoming zombies in one smooth motion. At the same time, Brenna released her green fireball. The glowing orb hit the five incoming zombies and exploded, blasting them to pieces.

Brenna's jaw dropped when she saw what she had done.

I chuckled. "Well done, Brenna," I said.

"Thanks, I think?" she said, apparently still shaking, either from the fright or shock or both.

Aaron's voice came through. "Good job, Brenna, Alfie."

But it was far from over yet. There was still a heap of zombies on the other side where Leona and Aria were. Not to mention Michael and his teammates.

I said, "Let's go."

Brenna nodded, and we used Silent Move to get to Leona and Aria.

We found them surrounded by a massive horde of zombies. I estimated around a hundred of them.

"Shit," I said under my breath at witnessing the sight.

Leona was going all out, shooting at the zombies. Her glowing red bullets hit smack on their bodies, killing them one by one in quick succession. As always, she was awesome.

Aria was amazing as well. Standing on the magic flying disc in midair, she fired her glowing blue crossbow, killing the feral one by one, cleanly and effectively.

Brenna said, "Wow! As always, they're good."

I nodded. "Shall we help?"

"Mm-hmm."

Brenna did a short chant and gathered her qi. A green orb started glowing at the tip of her staff.

I took a deep breath, tightened my grip on the hilt of my saber, and then ran off, sprinting across the field, my body light and my feet fast.