Chapter 39 - why?

January.

Things with Jamie have been great the past few weeks. We make the drive to see each other at least twice a week, we get dinner and hang out until the other one has to leave. The ducks aren't doing too great right now, they're in the bottom five of the rankings.

They've just started a roadtrip, the first game is in Nashville. He's currently out with the guys so I haven't heard much from him. I'm minding my business, scrolling through instagram when I see a jaw dropping post.

"Jamie Drysdale has been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Cutter Gauthier."

"What the fuck!" I yell out to no one in particular. Alex comes running into the room.

"What? What happened?" He asks panicked.

"Jamie was traded to the Flyers!" I tell him. "And he hasn't called me yet, i saw it on instagram."

"Okay maybe it's not tru-" he starts but he's cut off by my phone ringing.

"It's Jamie."

"Hello?
Lily?
Jamie. Are you okay?
No! It came out of left field. I had no idea it was happening.
It's gonna be okay.
Is it? I'm gonna be on the other side of the country. From you. Trevor. My friends.
I know hon. We'll figure this out. I'll book a flight out there asap.
Lily i- I got to go. I've got another call coming in. I love you.
I love you."

And after that the line goes dead. "Alex, he's freaking out."

"Well what can you expect? It's insane to think that he was traded."

"Trust me, I know. What are we gonna do? Is he even gonna want to still be together? What if it doesn't work o-"

"Okay that's where we're gonna cut things off." Alex says pointedly. "Y'all were meant for each other. You underestimate the love you have for each other. If you two can't figure it out, the rest of us are doomed."

"Okay I know that was supposed to encouraging, and I appreciate the effort, but that didn't help at all."

"Hear me out. What couple goes through two different accidents, the chaotic life that is Hockey, 5 year break up, and quite literally everything else you two have been through together, just to come back together out of no where. You ran into him in the middle of Christmas shopping, and hit you like a ton of bricks when you realized you never got over him."

"Turcs-" I try to cut him off but he holds a hand up to silence me so he can continue.

"No Lily, hear me out. When you're with him, you forget about everything. Do you know amount of times I've called because I forgot my key, and you got here two hours later because you were with him? I'm not mad, I swear, I'm happy for you. I'm happy that you're happy. But everything else falls away when you're with him. And when you look at him? You're looking at him like you're looking at the northern lights and you'll never see them again."

"Okay bu-"

"Lily. Stop trying to argue and listen to me!"

"Fine. Continue." I say forcing back an eye roll.

"Lily you don't understand. I've never seen a man so infatuated before. None of the guys have. We're all over the moon that someone loves you just as much as we do. Especially your brothers. They've waited years for someone to love and cherish and fight every day to deserve you, just like Jamie does. He'll never deserve you, no one will in our eyes, but damn if he won't try. He's made mistakes, yes, but he's only human. He loves you like there's nothing to it. So if you think, even for a minute, that he won't try to make this work with you then you're one hell of an idiot. Now you can try to argue."