Nick's Summer BBQ Party

As I ascend the slope, a subtle protest emanates from my heels, almost breaking my ankle—voicing their discontent with the uphill challenge. Despite the physical strain, my curiosity gets the better of me, I glance to my right. Beyond the roadside... the cliff going downwards... the swaying palm trees, a captivating panorama of the island reveals itself. Although a bit further from the shores, the vast expanse of the ocean maintains ever-present, rhythmic waves providing a soothing ambience.

The sun leisurely dips behind the waves, creating a captivating view. Pausing for a moment, pretending to catch my breath, using it as an excuse to gaze out there. It appears cold and solitary, yet oddly comforting, tempting me to abandon this entire party and walk away.

A strange feeling creeps in; different eyes, not Alani's... it feels like they're watching me.

"Maya! Let's go, why are you staring off like that? There's no turning back now, in case that's what you're thinking," Alani calls out from the house gate.

It's massive, enclosed by stunning white stone walls, with flowers dangling beneath each wooden window frame and enchanting trees decorated with glowing orange lights scattered across the garden. Even from a distance, it looks impressive. Is someone standing in the window? I adjust my eyes, it's gone.

Passing through the gate with Alani. Despite her judgmental gaze, I choose to ignore it.

I take it all in; a vibrant sea of people surrounds us, adorned in stylish outfits, featuring many beautiful summer dresses and makeup looks I wish I could pull off. As we stroll along the path around the large pool in the middle of the garden, a few people recline on airbeds atop the pool, indulging in joints. The music is lively, and the atmosphere is already buzzing with a good time, yet it maintains a laid-back vibe.

"Tonight's theme is a summer barbecue," Alani clarifies.

"Summer is still two months away," I note. "No, it's not. My dear, who wants to wait another two months for summer?!" Someone places both hands on my shoulders from behind. "I refuse to endure the agony of waiting, so tonight we're celebrating that summer has begun!" I pivot and draw in a deep breath, encountering his low-pitched, effortlessly calm voice—a blend of both annoyance and delight. "Nick, it's good to see you," I smile at him.

"Even better to see you both, ladies," he says, flashing his white teeth. His long, blonde, bleached hair bounces on his head, and his bright blue eyes easily catch you off guard. With a grand gesture, he grabs my hand and gives it a kiss, doing the same with Alani.

"Promise me you'll never change, Nick," Alani gazes at him with an exaggerated look of love. It's almost as if she melts right in front of him, and then she bursts into laughter. As he makes his way through the crowd, he looks at both of us and laughs. "Please, help yourselves at the bar! Drinks are on the host tonight!"

We continue strolling around the pool, and to our right, A DJ set spins a blend of laid-back jazz and deep house. "Quite the interesting summer barbecue," Alani remarks, her words slow and careful, as if she's trying to gauge the atmosphere.

We head to the bar and order drinks. I'm not sure what Alani just ordered for me, but when the glasses arrive, it's some kind of exotic cocktail. "Looks like we're starting strong," I comment with a disappointed yet unsurprised tone. "This isn't that strong I promise," Alani looks at me with a smile.

I take a sip and glance around. People are sweating, dancing, energetic but laid-back, and the air feels lively. As the night grows darker, the house music deepens.

A few girls from school approach us, starting a conversation about our spring vacation. I mentioned it wasn't great since I was sick all week. They share their experiences–some spent time surfing, others studying. We all feel the same way about returning to school; fatigued and dreading it.