The Fair Fundraiser

Time has passed...

Once more, we find ourselves cruising in Alani's father's olive green jeep. The island is bathed in the intensifying heat, and as the days go by, I'm starting to fall in love with this island all over again.

It has been nearly two months since I last talked to Koa...

After my panic attack at school, Koa has been ditching all his classes. Things have been quiet around, but inside my head, I feel like a crazy person... No one really knows, and I wonder, what's the point of sharing with those who don't understand? They're not going through the same things, they're dealing with other things so...

I've just been telling myself to focus on my studies, to get through this on my own. I've been trying for the past few weeks, but time seems to crawl by.

The pier comes into view as we drive along the island's seaside. It's lit up with warm lights, bustling with attractions, markets, food stands, lively music. Alani lowers the music as we pull into the parking lot. Alani knows... and that's one more reason why I love her. She waits for me to open up about my problems, respecting my need to stay in my own head sometimes...

"Wow, I can't wait to check out all the stands," Alani beams, turning to me while I'm lost in thought. "Hey, snap out of it. Tonight, we're splurging! Loads of drinks, many of our friends are here, lots of cute guys. But let's hit the attractions first; I'm not freefalling with beer in my stomach." She chatters on, giving me a genuine smile.

"Let's go," I say, opening the car door. We both step out, and the music fills the entire parking lot.

Families, couples, and others stroll toward the pier, joining the festival. All in summer clothes, everyone in flip-flops, flaunting sun-kissed skin. Inhaling the summer night air, I listen to palm tree leaves rustling in the wind, and my heart fills up once more.

"So, you think Koa's showing up tonight?" I ask, eyeing Alani cautiously. "Girl, remember what we discussed?!" She gives me something I call: the maternal stare, but I just shrug and say, "might as well ask the burning question; I know Tarek's gonna be here."

Alani shoots me a judgmental look before we soak in the surroundings. It's bustling as we blend into the crowd. Passing the fair's grand entrance, a massive sign above us shines in vibrant colors; 'Save Our East Side Fundraiser.'

We stroll by some food stands and browse the souvenir shops. Alani, eyeing wooden bracelets, comments, "I don't know, Maya. I think he'd need a lot of guts to show up at the fair tonight after skipping school for weeks."

I chime in, "Yeah, you're right. Especially since his dad is in business with Daniel Tengen, the guy aiming to rebuild this place."

Alani squints her eyes at me dramatically as she sets the bracelets down. "Wait..." I raise my eyebrows at her. "You're actually up to date on what's going on?" She makes these dramatic gestures, and I give her a push as we step out of the crowded stand.

"Okay, yes, I've been asking my dad to keep me updated." Alani turns to me, frowning, and says, "Who are you?"

As we walk, she continues, "Wasn't your dad in business with Daniel Tengen as well?" I nod and clarify, "Yeah, my dad decided to focus on international business, so now we're working more with Sera Beaumont's family."

Alani gives me a teasing look, smirking and then laughing. I roll my eyes, saying, "It's not like that with her, you know." She pulls me towards the line for, I think, our first attraction, and replies, "Yeah, you keep telling yourself that." She shakes her head as we wait in line, "you keep lying in my face like I'm some dumb child, you know." I laugh, "What are you talking about?" She gives me a sarcastic nod.