17 | national holiday

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
NATIONAL HOLIDAY
[season three, episode eleven]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:NATIONAL HOLIDAY[season three, episode eleven]

"You're the dancing queen"

      CASSIE WASN'T QUITE SURE WHAT
Cassie wasn't quite sure what was in store for her when Klaus said he would be a monster. He had already ruined her life so how creative can one man be? She was willing to bet he had plans, probably a list longer than the declaration of independence in vivid detail on how he was going to make her life miserable. She dwelled on it all night, chewing her nails anxiously as Caroline slept peacefully next to her. Cassie had gone to the Forbes' household after visiting Alaric in the hospital — she needed a friend and Caroline understood, she always understood.

As the blonde stirred, Cassie scrambled to get the party poppers from her bag. She pulled on the string to release a loud noise, "Happy birthday, Carebear!" She exclaimed.

Caroline merely groaned and turned over. "Shh. If we ignore it then it will go away."

That certainly wasn't the reaction she was expecting. "Are you dying?" Cassie had to check. Caroline's birthday was a national holiday for everyone in Mystic Falls. Screw Christmas, this was the day everyone looked forward to all year round.

"I don't want to celebrate it ever again." Caroline mumbled, pulling the sheets over her head to hide from the world. 

Cassie furrowed her eyebrows in bewilderment, "But it's my favourite day of the year." She said, laying down next to her friend, "You said so."

Caroline pulled the duvet from over her head blowing a loose piece of messy hair out of her face, "I'm dead." She stated.

The Parker girl scrunched her nose up in distaste at that memory, "I know, I found your dead body." She recalled.

She shook her head, rewording what she meant to say, "No, I mean I'm stuck. I died in a filler year, technically, I'll never be eighteen."

"You're the dancing queen, Care."

"Forever."

"Own it!" Cassie exclaimed, "Now your curls will never go dry and frizzy and you'll never get old and wrinkly like I will."

"Yeah 'cause you'll die and I'll still be seventeen." Caroline mumbled.

That response silenced Cassie, usually she was the moody one and Caroline was the upbeat one when it came to birthdays. She didn't like it that the roles had reversed. Not knowing how to reply to that, she pulled out the mini chocolate cake and forks, "Wanna ditch school and watch The Notebook on repeat?"