Chapter Thirteen-Part 14

Stevie stepped off the elevator in her hotel with a sigh of relief. She had her arms full of work and enough tension in her neck to snap a cable. After much maneuvering, she recovered the key card from her pocket and shoved it in the door. As the light turned green her phone sang out at an ear piercing volume causing her to jump. Missing her chance to open the door, she repeated the procedure while cursing at her still ringing phone. She opened the door, dumped her work on the nearby table and snatched her phone out of her pocket and barked, "What?"

"Well hello to you to sis." Kathryn's voice came through the line and Stevie took in a deep breath.

"Hey Kat, sorry." Stevie rubbed her head and walked to the bathroom to retrieve her aspirin, she really could use the whole bottle.

"Long day?" Stevie could hear the familiar sound of Kathryn clicking away on her computer in the background.

"Oh was it ever, just walking in as you called. Sounds like you're working yourself."

"Just finishing up some loose ends."

"I'm pretty surprised to hear from you at all, considering it's not April sixteenth." Stevie popped three extra strength Tylenol and swallowed dry.

"Ha," there was a pause filled in with more clicking before Kathryn continued. "It is rather hectic, but never too crazy for you."

"Ha." Stevie smiled and thought about all the years she had tried to drag Kat out during tax season and how she failed every time.

"Okay so I'm busy, but as it is Sunday and you are just getting in sounds as if you have a very similar work method as old sis here."

"What I had was inspiration."

"Then why the foul mood."

"Because my inspiration ran me ragged all day, I forgot to eat lunch, and since it's near seven, dinner as well. Since I let inspiration take hold, I am behind on the paperwork I had planned on finishing today," she said as she came back into the foyer and scowled at the stack of paperwork.

"Am I correct to assume that this said paper work you are already behind on?"

"Maybe." Stevie frowned at the phone and hated how well her sister knew her.

"Knew it." Stevie could all but see the smile on her sister's face.

"So how's the tax season going?" Stevie asked, trying to change the subject off her.

"Same as always, people frantic, little sleep on my part, you know the drill." And she did, maybe too well.

"Yep, that is why I always get you my taxes first part of January."

"And why you always have your refund back before most even file."

"Yeah that is nice too." Stevie wandered into the kitchenette and debated between PP&J or room service. She went with the PP&J and pulled out a bottle of wine.

"How is the job going?" Kathryn asked pulling away from her computer and running a hand over her face.

"Been slightly more hectic this week, we had a man hurt at the start of the week and I've been doing double time to make up for it."

"How serious?"

"Bad enough, ended up in the hospital, went home yesterday. Will need weeks to recover, but Mick has been great about the whole situation, providing pay and nurses, basically anything he needs." Stevie took a massive bite of her sandwich and smiled, nothing like PP&J.