Part Three - Chapter Eleven: Elsa's First Birthday

"Mama," Elsa babbled softly, she stared up at her mother as she finished dressing her for her first birthday; she was wearing a red star dress that Jennifer had gotten her and her hair was in pretty curls. 

Eliana picked Elsa up and held her close, she whispered softly to her daughter unable to really believe that she was one; she cuddled her knowing that she was going to have to get used to sharing her parents' attention.

"I can't believe that she's one already," Eliana mumbled with a shake of her head, everyone had been thrilled with the news that they were expecting their second child. 

Dolores was insisting on coming to help them in Madrid, she wanted to be around her younger grandchildren more and she knew that it was only a matter of time before she was left out completely. 

The couple had heard from Elma and Katia that Jennifer and Dolores had been arguing behind their backs about the fact that Jennifer was more involved with Elsa than Dolores was and that Dolores determined not to miss out on her next grandchild. 

Cristiano smiled nodding his head, he cooed at Elsa knowing that there was no way that his mother was coming to live with them; he didn't need more people around trying to interfere with how they were raising their children. 

"I think we did quite well," Cristiano mused knowing that while they had a rocky start to life with Elsa things had worked out so well for them; he couldn't wait for their second child to be born. 

Things seemed to be going well and Cristiano was pleased with the progress that Eliana was making, he loved the fact that they were going to have another and he couldn't wait to find out what they were having. 

Eliana kissed Cristiano, they had to get a move on if they wanted to make it to the party on time and they knew that everyone would be dying to see the birthday girl.

***

"There's the birthday girl," Jennifer cooed moving forward to fuss over Elsa, she lifted her up and cuddled her making Cristiano smile; he liked his mother-in-law and he was happy that she had someone good in her life now. 

Stefan nodded to Cristiano, he had been surprised to be invited to the birthday party but he was pleased that Eliana seemed so welcoming to him; he just wanted to make Jennifer happy. 

"Glad you could make it," Cristiano said knowing that Eliana had gotten a little distracted with his sisters, he was just glad that everyone had been able to make it here for Elsa's birthday party. 

Stefan and Jennifer were planning to get married in July, they had thought carefully about what they had wanted and it meant the world to Jennifer if her daughter and son-in-law where there with the children. 

Of course, it wasn't going to be easy especially with Eliana being at the tail-end of her pregnancy when the wedding came around and they were very aware of that. 

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Stefan said before moving to fuss over Elsa, he adored the little girl as much as Jennifer did and didn't mind stepping into the role of grandfather. 

It made up for the fact that William had no interest in either Eliana or Elsa, instead he was focusing on Sara and their child that was due next month. 

Cristiano still found it weird that Elsa's aunt or uncle would be over a year younger than her, it would make for awkward situations if the two were to ever meet. 

Looking over at Eliana, Cristiano smiled at the sight of the small bump that was peeking out every so slight behind her yellow jersey tunic; he was still surprised how fast she had started showing this time.

***

Eliana smiled watching Elsa toddle about with a couple of her older cousins, she was pleased that everyone seemed to be getting along and having a good time; she hoped that it would stay that way. 

"How are you feeling?" Cristiano asked sitting down next to his wife, he watched her knowing that it had been a pretty calm day for her and he just wanted her to take it easy while she was pregnant with their second child. 

It seemed strange to think that they were expecting again and Cristiano knew he had been extra close eye on her since he had found out. 

The last thing that Cristiano wanted was for anything to stress Eliana out, she was doing so well and he knew that they would be wonderful when the baby was born. 

"I'm fine," Eliana said looking to Cristiano, she still couldn't believe that they had made it to this point in their lives and she knew that the next few months would fly by before she knew it. 

Brushing a hand against her bump, Eliana sighed knowing that the next few months would fly-by; however, she was really dreading the next month since her half-brother was going to be born. 

The news of her father's new child seemed to be everywhere and Eliana wasn't going to make any effort to get involved; she knew that if she was ever to meet the child when he was older then she would explain why she had done what she had. 

"It's his loss you know," Cristiano murmured knowing that there was a presenting missing, he couldn't believe that William was still being a fool and he was glad the man was out of their lives. 

The last thing that Cristiano wanted was for him to use them to make money, he was making quite a bit now with all the interviews and photoshoots he and his new wife were doing.

Their wedding pictures had been hard to miss and Cristiano knew that people were starting to take notice of the fact that Eliana had little to do with her father; he just hoped William would leave them out of his stories. 

Cristiano wasn't going to stand for his father-in-law making money off their names when he had chosen Sara over Eliana; he wasn't going to ever allow Elsa or the new baby to feel the way William had made Eliana feel. 

"I know," Eliana replied smiling, she kissed Cristiano before getting to her feet and walking away from him; she tried not to let what her father had done bother but she doubted that she would ever forget his choose. 

Cristiano watched her walk away and shook his head, he knew that it was her hormones getting the better of her; he shook his head and got to his feet only to run into his mother. 

"Mãe," Cristiano greeted already knowing what she was going to say, she had spent the entire party talking about her move to Madrid; she was determined to be around more for when the new baby was born. 

Dolores sighed seeing the look of hesitation on Cristiano's face, she knew that it was time that she told him the real reason that she wanted to spend more time with him and his family. 

"There's something that I need to tell you," Dolores mumbled looking down at her hands, she should have done this sooner and she knew that it was better to tell him and Hugo now before it was too late. 

Cristiano stared at his mother, he could see that something was upsetting her and his stomach turned knowing that this couldn't be a good thing. 

"My cancer came back," Dolores said looking to Cristiano, she had been meaning to tell him for a while now and there was no point in her putting it off until it was too late to do something about it.