Chapter 10

Ruby's POV

Once I had my way to where the crash had come from, I didn't know what to do.

"Mom?" I asked. I could hear quiet weeping in the corner where the table was sat around. I slowly walked in that direction. "Mom?" I asked softly.

"I'm sorry sweety, I just-" and she broke into another fit of sobs. I wrapped my arms around her and sat with her for a bit to comfort her. After about maybe 10 min, the house phone rang. I stood cautiously up to answer it. "Hello?" I said into the darkness.

"Is this Ruby?" a female's voice asked from the other line.

"Yes, why?" I asked getting a sense of dread.

"I'm sorry to report that your friend Aaron had gotten in an accident," she said. "I'm sorry."

"Thank you for telling me," I paused. "Which hospital is he at?"

"Aaron has been put in Mercy Hospital," she replied.

"Alright, thank you. Goodbye."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I had forgotten about my mother sitting there listening to the conversation. As soon as she'd heard what had happened, she decided to drive us to Mercy Hospital.

"Can you lead me to the receptionist, mom?" I asked into the darkness.

"Sure," she responded and grabbed my elbow softly and pulled me to our destination. Once we reached the receptionist, I could hear her gasp.

"Yo-your eyes," she said in amazement. I cleared my throat trying to snap her back to reality.

"May I ask which room Aaron Scott is in?" I asked. I heard some keys clicking, probably her typing on the computer's keyboard.

"He's in surgery right now. So you'll just have to wait until he's out. I'll tell them two more people are waiting for Aaron Scott to come out of surgery and know the results," she told us.

"Oh, who else is waiting?" I asked.

"Aaron's mother, Andrea Scott, and his step father, Derek Philips," she said and suddenly the weight of my mother's hand was off my arm and something, or someone, hit the floor behind me.