Chapter 20

Aaron's POV

Anna and I sat in the waiting room while we let Ruby's mother go run some errands. It's only been about an hour and I'm so nervous that I'm shaking. Anna sighed and I looked over at her questioningly. She then turned to look at me.

"I'm sorry for telling you off when I brought Ruby to school with me even though I had no right to do it. I was stereotypical and judged you before knowing you. I just thought I was protecting her from getting hurt," Anna said looking genuinely sorry. I think it was the first time I'd ever seen her so serious about something. I gave her a small smile.

"You were just protecting a friend. Let's be honest here, you've become to be like a little sister to me through how close you are to Ruby," I said slinging an arm over her shoulder as she glared at me.

Anna then replied, "We're the same age, dumbass."

--------------------------

Let's just say that debate lasted the remaining amount of waiting time we had left. We first argued like kids saying yes, no, yes, no, etc. then I asked her when her birthday was and I was shocked it was actually the same day as mine. I then said she was lying and then it turned into the back and forth yes no's and then it even got so far to where I called my mom asking her the exact time I was born and then Anna did the same. Guess who was victorious?

ME.

That's right. Me. Me me me me me. Anna huffed looking at me.

"Only by an hour and 2 minutes!" She nearly yelled. I smirked.

"Still older," I said in a sing song voice as she glared daggers at me. I pouted. "Is this how all little sisters teach their older brother?" I asked. She didn't say anything but just kept glaring.

We were too busy glaring/staring at each other that we didn't notice Ruby's mom and brother walk into the waiting room.

"Hey ki- woah, what happened between you two?" A male voice spoke. I looked over at him.

"Who are you?" I asked looking him up and down then giving him a glare. He smirked like he knew something I didn't.

"Garrett, Ruby's brother," he said holding out his hand to me. My glare immediately went away and my muscles loosened. I then put my hand in his and shook it. When I looked over at Anna, I noticed her looking at him with a look of attraction, but there was more to it. I knew what that look was and it was my turn to smirk. 

Everyone sat down in a chair and waited for about five more minutes before the receptionist walked into the waiting room. She smiled at us and we all took it as a good sign.

"Ruby's surgery went very well. I think she'll regain the ability to see fully again, just give her time to wake up. She should be up in an hour or more, but not too long," she paused, "she's in room 319 if you'd like to see her," she then smiled and left. We all stood up and started making our way to her room. When we got there I scanned the room.

It was pretty plain. One of your cliche hospital rooms I guess you could say. White walls and four cheap plastic covered white chairs that we now occupied.

"So I guess we'll just wait for her to wake up," her mother said smiling at all of us and we all nodded in agreement.