Chapter 22

When Aaron pulled away, we were both slightly out of breath. He gave me a small smile as he stared directly back into my eyes.

"I have to show you something," he said then stood up, leaving to grab something to show me. Once Aaron came back, one of his hands was being kept secretly behind his back. I looked at him quizzically as he just gave me a smile.

"What's behind your back?" I asked. He slowly, almost painfully slowly, pulled his hand out from behind his back revealing a mirror. "What's that for?"

"Look into it and you tell me," he said smiling. As I reached for the reflective object, Aaron's smile became wider. When I held the mirror to eye level and looked into it, all I could do was gasp.

In the reflection, ruby red eyes stared back at me.

-----------------------------------

After about a day I was able to go home. They told me I could now take my driver's test and finish my senior year in public school a normal teenager would.

I was so excited and happy. Everyone around me acted the same way also. I don't remember ever feeling like this, except for maybe when I was a young girl.

Aaron was also catching a ride with us back to his house since my dad didn't even want to see me while I was going through surgery. Anna was driving Garrett back to the house also.

Part of me wishes he had come to support or at least tell me he's glad I am okay, but he didn't come at all. Not even to just check up on me from the desk and leave. He didn't come by once.

When we dropped Aaron off at his house, I walked him to the front door. He knocked on the front door and turned to look at me.

"I'm glad you're okay," he said. I smiled softly.

"Me too," I said and suddenly the door opened and there stood my father. He looked at me in surprise.

"Oh, hello, Ruby," my dad said awkwardly. I just nodded at him and Aaron gave me a look telling me to say something to my dad. So I looked my dad right in the eyes.

"Why didn't you come?" I asked. He looked a little shocked.

"I didn't think you'd want me there," he said softly, almost nervously. I started to get frustrated.

"Well I did want you there. You didn't even call, check up on me, or at least text mom. You didn't even try to see if I was okay or not. I bet if I weren't standing here right now, you wouldn't have even asked Aaron if I was okay or not," I said harshly and slightly teared up. Aaron just stood there listening to our interaction.

"You know that last part isn't true, Ruby," my dad said.

"Isn't it?" I asked. When he didn't respond, a couple tears dropped. "I wish you were never my father," I spat out then rushed back to the car. "Just drive mom," I said in a harsh whisper as I looked out the window silently crying.

----------------------------

I sat on the couch watching paranormal witness with Gary. It was a pretty good show to be honest. It was almost like multiple, short horror movies as a series. After about two episodes Gary looked over at me.

"Uh, how was Aaron's house," he asked softly. I shrugged. "Did you, uh, see dad?" I nodded. I knew Gary missed him the most. Gary was old enough to have had a lot of good memories with dad. Gary just nodded, not questioning any further on the topic. For that, I was great full.